FLSA Status: Non-Exempt-Union – Full Time
Salary: $25 - $30 per hour, depending on experience
Excellent Benefits Package Available
Who We Are: Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA (PHS/SPCA) is a local, private, non-profit charitable organization dedicated to animal welfare. It is our mission is to build healthy relationships between people and animals. PHS/SPCA is truly an open admission shelter, not only accepting many pet animals who might be refused at other shelters, but also taking care of injured and orphaned native wildlife from San Francisco through San Mateo and the northern half of Santa Clara County. Our work means 6,300 lives saved each year. To learn more about us, visit www.phs-spca.org.
Who You Are: A firm believer in humane care and kind treatment of animals. Familiar with San Mateo County and its neighborhoods. Knowledgeable of animal welfare issues, state and local ordinances, quarantines, adoptions, other animal related issues. Not a stranger when it comes to customer service and conflict resolution. Finally, a well-rounded animal lover.
This position is represented by Union Local 856.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Patrol assigned areas within San Mateo County using safe driving practices, while maintaining a PHS/SPCA vehicle in a clean and fully stocked manner.
- Respond to stray domestic animals that may be sick, injured, aggressive, loose, confined, or in traffic. Ensure that the animal is returned to its owner, transported to the shelter, or taken to receive medical attention as appropriate.
- Humanely capture sick, injured, or orphaned wildlife. Transport wildlife to the PHS/SPCA Wildlife Department or provide euthanasia in the field as directed by policy.
- Remove deceased animals in a professional and compassionate manner.
- Investigate complaints of local municipal code or state law violations and follow-up as needed by documenting the complaint, issuing warnings, and/or making enforcements such as citations.
- Educate and answer inquiries from the public regarding animal welfare issues and animal related concerns in a matter reflective of the Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA’s policies and standards.
- Follow up with Animal Bite Reports by placing animals in and out of a rabies observation quarantine.
- Prepare and maintain detailed and accurate reports daily including but not limited to Chameleon memos, the completion of forms, and investigation or supplemental reports.
- Operate and receive calls via a two-way radio using proper radio codes and etiquette.
- High School graduate (or equivalent) and at least 18 years of age.
- Must possess a valid California Driver's License with a clean driving record to be insured with PHS/SPCA insurance.
- Upon hire, must pass a background check.
- Upon hire, must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and able to show COVID Vaccination Card as proof of vaccination.
- Must successfully complete a course in 832 PC (law enforcement course) within one year of employment as an Animal Control Officer.
- Must become certified to perform euthanasia by injection according to California state regulations and trained in decapitations for required rabies testing.
- Must also possess the ability to manage the emotional aspect of end-of-life services and humane euthanasia, and support staff in high-emotion circumstances
- Must have previous customer service experience.
- Prior experience (volunteering and/or professionally) working with animals is highly desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must have the ability to work well and communicate effectively with the public, fellow employees and volunteers.
- Must have a flexible schedule and the ability to work irregular hours including nights, weekends, holidays and standby as needed.
- Must be highly motivated toward the welfare and humane treatment of all animals.
- Must perform the job in a professional manner and work effectively under pressure.
- Able to work effectively without close supervision.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs from ground to waist.
- Basic knowledge, or become proficient, with Microsoft Office Suite, computer keyboarding skills and data entry.
Excellent Benefits Package Available
- Medical /Dental /Vision/Life/ Flex Spending
- Sick, Vacation and Holiday pay
- Employee Assistance Plan
- Retirement plan & employer matching
Available to all employees with pets:
- Free vaccines, spay/neuter, microchipping, and two pet adoptions
- Discounted euthanasia services/cremation, bloodwork, urinalysis, prescription food, and discounts at our retail stores.
For more information about our available job opportunities and how to apply, please visit our website at www.phs-spca.org/careers
The Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA is an equal opportunity employer. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. EOE/M/F/D/V/SO