VP of Development
About Point Source Youth
Founded in 2015, Point Source Youth is a nonprofit organization working nationally to prevent and end homelessness. They help advocate for, implement, and evaluate proven, scalable, and replicable youth homelessness interventions to increase housing options for youth. The organization’s liberation-focused model trusts young people as experts in their lives and well-being.
Point Source Youth believes that society has a moral obligation to collectively amass ample resources to end youth homelessness. To that end, they work alongside communities and partners to uplift the power of young people, especially historically marginalized youth, including BIPOC and Queer youth.
They partner with service providers, funders, policymakers, government officials, and youth advocates across the country to advance meaningful and affirming solutions to end youth homelessness. Their youth-centered solutions empower young people to make vital decisions that positively impact their lives. Programs and services include:
• Direct cash transfers: Point Source Youth provides direct cash transfers with youth-determined support to homeless youth so that they can afford basic necessities such as food, housing, and transportation. Point Source Youth also supports Direct Cash Transfers as Prevention, which provides youth with cash and support to prevent them from experiencing homelessness in the first place.
• Housing and shelter: The organization also supports housing for homeless youth, including rapid re-housing and youth-determined host homes.
• Advocacy: Point Source Youth advocates for policies and programs that support homeless youth at the local, state, and federal levels.
• Youth leadership: Point Source Youth works to ensure that young people with lived experience create and lead programs that end youth homelessness locally and nationally.
Point Source Youth also supports research and evaluation, partnering with leading researchers across the country to evaluate the interventions it supports. Rooted in their belief in the power of local change, their team of regional training and technical assistance experts empower communities on the ground working to end youth homelessness. In further support of their collective and regional approach to ending the national youth homelessness crisis, Point Source Youth convenes a national symposium as well as a Direct Cash Transfers convening, reaching over 1,000 registrants.
Point Source Youth envisions a world where all young people can enjoy the right to safety, stability, and joy. They believe that youth should be trusted to direct their own lives and that leadership by and advancement of the young people most impacted by the crisis of homelessness is paramount.
Founded in: 2015
Budget: $8 million
Board of Directors: 11
Headquarters: New York, NY
Reporting to and partnering with the Senior Vice President, Development, the newly created Vice President, Development will work to achieve Point Source Youth’s ambitious revenue, partnership, conference, and impact goals. With guidance from the SVP, Development, Executive Director, and Board of Directors, the VP will identify, cultivate, and secure new revenue and prospects for PSY. They will collaborate with the Strategic Partnerships, Strategy, Communications, and Policy teams to set an external growth strategy for this rapidly growing national organization. Essential responsibilities include:
• Through prospect research and ongoing relationship development expand the portfolio of individual and institutional donors including foundations and corporations;
• Identify individuals and foundations to expand local support in the regions PSY serves;
• Create major donor cultivation events to introduce individuals to PSY’s mission and impact;
• Develop goals and stewardship strategies that ensure each donor (both individual and institutional) receives frequent, personalized attention;
• Leverage wealth screening and other research tools to ensure solicitations are aligned with donors’ capacity and interests;
• Provide expert follow-up and schedule impactful meetings, creating a full and robust development meeting calendar with new and current donors, foundations, and corporate funders.
• Build intentional fundraising practices on a firm knowledge of program initiatives, organizational priorities, and staff capacity;
• Co-create systems and processes that support consistent and effective donor engagement, including building and maintaining a donor database with the SVP, Development, and VP, Partnerships;
• Develop a pipeline of individuals and foundations in regions PSY does not yet serve;
• In partnership with the Communications team, identify and cultivate sponsors for the convenings on Solutions to End Youth Homelessness.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a frontline fundraiser to raise revenue for a radically transformative organization that is scaling up solutions to end youth homelessness.
Reports to: SVP, Development
Revenue Responsibility: $3 million
Lives: Anywhere in the United States
The new VP, Development will be responsible for identifying and cultivating new revenue opportunities for Point Source Youth. The VP will have outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to cultivate authentic relationships with diverse donors, partners, and stakeholders. They will be values and practice-aligned with PSY’s results- and rest-driven culture and motivated to contribute to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization built on a foundation of transparency and collaboration. The successful candidate will have the following:
• Experience in the youth homelessness and allied justice movement spaces, with relevant lived experience prioritized;
• Deep understanding of sustainable development strategies for quickly growing non-profit organizations;
• Demonstrated capability and desire to lead all activities related to scheduling, follow-up, and creating a pipeline of major donors, foundations, and corporate supporters;
• Track record of success and innovative approach to growing sustainable funding streams;
• Broad and deep networks with funders nationally, regionally, and locally;
• Excellent problem-solving, critical thinking, follow-up, and time management skills;
• Exceptional written and communication skills, including the ability to translate grant deliverables to program staff;
• Outstanding relationship-building, stewardship, and interpersonal skills;
• Strong technical skills; prior experience building CRMs is highly valued;
• Knowledge of conference promotion and marketing including a large national convening.
The VP, Development will be an energetic and innovative leader with stellar collaboration, problem-solving, and communication skills. They will have an unwavering passion for Point Source Youth’s mission of putting power and resources in the hands of young people.
The ideal candidate will be a proactive, flexible, and entrepreneurial leader who is energized working in a rapidly growing, fast-paced, distributed environment. In addition to being passionately committed to raising revenue to advance PSY’s vision of a world in which youth homelessness is rare, brief, and non-recurring, the new VP will have the following:
• Demonstrated ability to apply an intersectional and anti-racist lens to all work that lifts up and centers BIPOC, non-binary, and LGBTQ+ youth;
• Deep understanding of and commitment to social justice frameworks, including anti-racism, economic justice, and gender and LGBTQ equity;
• A collaborative style characterized by emotional intelligence, integrity, and transparency;
• Ability to work collaboratively with the Youth Advisory Council to ensure that authentic youth engagement is at the forefront of all of PSY’s work;
• Desire to work in partnership with local service providers and youth with lived experiences of homelessness;
• Ability to work effectively in a variety of geographic, political, and cultural settings.
• Willingness to work occasional evenings, weekends, and irregular hours;
• Comfort with extensive (50%) national travel.
The targeted annual salary for this position is $150,000 - $170,000 commensurate with the lived and professional experience and qualifications of the selected candidate. Point Source Youth provides an excellent benefits package including 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance and a fully funded Healthcare Spending Account equal to the annual deductible. Point Source Youth also provides a 401(k) with a 4% match, and a $300 monthly allowance for a home office and self-care. In addition to a generous PTO policy and holiday schedule, the Point Source Youth offices are closed for two weeks in July and three weeks in December.
Point Source Youth is a fully remote organization. The VP, Development can work from anywhere in the United States.
Please submit a résumé and original cover letter that describes your interest in the organization’s mission and qualifications through the application portal on our website at https://apptrkr.com/5004940.
Michelle Kristel, Managing Partner
McCormack + Kristel
1740 Broadway, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10019
Phone: 212.531.5003 | Fax: 212.203.9599
All inquiries will be held in strict confidence. Please note that your education, dates of employment, and other information will be verified prior to an offer.
McCormack + Kristel works only with equal opportunity employers. Point Source Youth does not discriminate in any of its employment policies or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, sex, disability, age, marital status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law.
You turn to The Non Profit Network to post your jobs for free! We have lost our funding from the Non Profit that funded this site and we ask your help to keep this site going. Please do your part. It takes just a couple of minutes to make sure that The Non Profit Network is there for you and everybody else. Benefits of contributing click here to know.
Thank you so much!
-The Non Profit Network