Organization and Background
Read to a Child, www.readtoachild.org, is a national nonprofit literacy and mentoring organization that inspires caring adults to read aloud regularly to at-risk children to create better opportunities for the child’s future. Research shows that reading aloud to children is the single most important activity for eventual success in reading, a key factor for success in school, work, and life. When an adult reads aloud to a child, both parties have a joyful, rewarding experience that instills a love of reading, improves literacy skills, and enhances a child’s self-confidence.
Lunchtime Reading Program
Read to a Child’s Lunchtime Reading Program utilizes 1,500 volunteer mentors from more than 100 socially-minded organizations who read one-on-one to nearly 1,200 at-risk elementary school students in greater Boston, Connecticut, Detroit, Los Angeles, and Miami. Read to a Child’s national headquarters are in Wellesley, MA and provide management and program oversight and support.
Read to a Child is seeking a Development Coordinator to support all development activities with an emphasis on grant writing and management, database management, and event planning and implementation. The Development Coordinator is an integral part of the Read to a Child team and should be a team player, excited to assist with all organizational needs including non-development related items. The Development Coordinator will report to the Boston Director of Development. The position is intended to be full-time, though those interested in 25+ hours / week may apply.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Conceive, plan, write, and edit all grant proposals and reports to support program and achieve/beat budget fundraising goals
- Maintain grant calendar including upcoming grant deadlines, pending grant submissions, and reporting requirements
- Maintain an accurate and up-to-date Salesforce database, including entering information regarding communications, meetings, grants submitted and received, and all relevant development activities
- Assist in the delivery of a successful annual fundraising Gala with over 250 guests including silent auction, invitations, volunteers and ticket sales
- Assist in the delivery of a successful Trivia Night fundraiser with over 100 guests including venue identification, solicitation for in-kind donations, and tickets sales
- Conduct research on prospective funders including foundations, individuals and corporations
- Collaborate with Boston Directors to cultivate strong relationships with Boston Board and all partners including foundations, individual donors, and companies
- Train and oversee Special Events Intern during event heavy periods
- A passion for the Read to a Child mission
- Grant writing and management experience
- Donor database experience (Salesforce preferred)
- Excellent written communication skills with an extreme attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to stay focused, and meet deadlines
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability and willingness to solicit donations on behalf of Read to a Child
- Flexibility (position at times will require you to perform duties outside the scope of job description)
- Experience with email, donor databases, Microsoft Office software, Google Applications
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience in a results-oriented, relationship-focused nonprofit organization
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Access to car strongly preferred
Please send a detailed cover letter, including salary requirements, that captures why this position is a great match for your skills and interests and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title in the subject line.