Title: Director of Regulatory Affairs
Location: Washington, DC
Company: Association for Behavioral Health and Wellness
Reports To: President/CEO
To Apply: Email a Word or PDF version of your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Director of Regulatory Affairs” in the subject line of the email (no phone calls)
About the Association for Behavioral Health and Wellness
The Association for Behavioral Health and Wellness (ABHW) is the national voice for payers that manage behavioral health insurance benefits. ABHW member companies provide coverage to over 200 million people in both the public and private sectors to treat mental health, substance use disorders, and other behaviors that impact health and wellness. Dedicated to advancing federal policy and educating the public on mental health and addiction care, ABHW advocates on behalf of health plans for improved access and higher quality of care to ensure better health outcomes for individuals and the community. For more information please see www.abhw.org.
The Director of Regulatory Affairs will be responsible for monitoring, analyzing, influencing, and drafting responses to federal regulatory issues that impact ABHW’s public policy agenda. The primary issue areas of focus for ABHW’s regulatory work include: the opioid epidemic (issue examples: prescription drug monitoring programs, 42 CFR Part 2, best practices for operating recovery housing), mental health and addiction parity, Medicare/telehealth, and Medicaid.
• Proactively develop regulatory strategies and evaluate regulatory developments throughout the executive branch with a particular focus on the Department of Health and Human Services and Department of Labor to identify activity of interest to ABHW member companies.
• Identify opportunities to influence the regulatory process.
• Establish productive and collaborative relationships with key personnel at regulatory agencies.
• Interact with likeminded stakeholders to develop strategies to influence the regulatory process.
• Analyze and disseminate information regarding regulatory activity of interest to ABHW members.
• Respond to proposed rules and requests for information, including working with member companies to develop comment letters and other necessary documents.
Education and Experience Requirements
Must have a bachelor’s degree in government relations, political science, health policy or a related field. Minimum of five (5) years of regulatory affairs experience. Must have knowledge of federal executive and legislative branch procedures and policies, as well as relevant health issues. Law degree or masters in health/public policy and/or federal agency experience preferred but not required.
• Excellent writing and oral communication skills and the ability to think analytically.
• Experience writing regulatory comment letters and responding to requests for information.
• Ability to identify regulatory issues and opportunities that help further ABHW’s mission.
• Capable of working with minimum supervision, taking initiative, and producing results.
Commensurate with experience.