Title: Director of Government Affairs
Location: Washington, DC
Company: Association for Behavioral Health and Wellness
Reports To: President/CEO
To Apply: Email a Word or PDF version of your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Director of Government Affairs” in the subject line of the email (no phone calls)
About the Association for Behavioral Health and Wellness
The Association for Behavioral Health and Wellness (ABHW) is the national voice for payers that manage behavioral health insurance benefits. ABHW member companies provide coverage to over 200 million people in both the public and private sectors to treat mental health, substance use disorders, and other behaviors that impact health and wellness. Dedicated to advancing federal policy and educating the public on mental health and addiction care, ABHW advocates on behalf of health plans for improved access and higher quality of care to ensure better health outcomes for individuals and the community. For more information please see www.abhw.org.
The Director of Government Affairs will be responsible for developing and leading ABHW’s legislative and advocacy strategies. The primary issue areas of focus for ABHW’s legislative work include: substance use disorder privacy regulations (42 CFR Part 2), mental health and addiction parity, telehealth, and fighting the national substance use disorder epidemic.
• Grow ABHW’s relationships with key Members of Congress and Congressional Committees and increase their understanding of behavioral health.
• Develop, track and advance ABHW’s policy priorities on Capitol Hill and with partner organizations.
• Prepare policy and advocacy documents, coordinate Capitol Hill briefings, to educate Members and staff on ABHW’s mission and core public policy objectives.
• Manage ABHW’s 50-member coalition, the Partnership to Amend 42 CFR Part 2, and convene additional coalitions in support of ABHW’s legislative priorities as needed.
• Assist member companies in understanding and interpreting legislative activity.
• Lead relevant ABHW committees.
• Work with the Director of Communications and Public Affairs to raise visibility of ABHW’s legislative priorities.
• Coordinate with the Director of Regulatory Affairs as needed.
Education and Experience Requirements
Must have a bachelor’s degree in government relations, political science, health policy or a related field. Minimum of five (5) years of experience in health/behavioral health policy, legislative affairs, regulatory policy, and/or health care consulting. Must have knowledge of federal legislative and executive branch procedures and policies, as well as relevant health issues. Masters in health/public policy and/or Capitol Hill experience preferred but not required.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong organizational, analytical, and time-management skills.
• Capable of independent decision making and taking initiative.
• Ability to multi-task and work collaboratively.
Commensurate with experience.