The Summer Academic Enrichment Program Instructor, (SAEP-Instructor) is responsible for implementing the curriculum, helping to facilitate non-academic activities, accompanying students on field experiences and fostering excitement among students for "outside-the-box" learning as appropriate. In addition to functioning as educators, the SAEP - Instructor will help to manage the total experience for students, many of whom will be on a college campus for the first time. This is a temporary (contracted) position beginning June 19, 2017 and ending on August 4, 2017.
- Mandatory Instructor Training/Orientation: June 19, 2017 June 23, 2017
- Summer Academic Enrichment Program: June 24, 2017 August 4, 2017
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Facilitate daily lesson plans and activities using the content provided by CSF-DC.
- Adapt lesson plans to suit diverse student needs while assessing and supporting student strengths.
- Provide visible leadership and hands-on programmatic support for the Summer Academic Enrichment Program.
- Implement CSF-DC's Ward 7and 8 Scholars Program's high standards of citizenship and academic performance in the classroom, maintain high expectations for students, praise students' hard work, work in conjunction with Team Leaders to utilize incentives and consequences when necessary.
- Help build a positive community among CSF-DC participants.
- Collaborate with university staff and external partners to ensure and maintain CSF's on-going positive relationships with its summer program partners.
- Communicate information to students clearly, respectfully, and with an emphasis on motivating and inspiring all program participants.
- Accompany students and staff members on weekly field trips as appropriate.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Basic adolescent development principles and positive youth development.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Ability to react professionally, thoughtfully, and responsibly in unexpected situations.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other instructors, CSF-DC staff, Gallaudet University staff and other partners.
- Ability to communicate effectively with and develop positive relationships with students.
- Demonstrate the attributes and qualities of a positive role model.
- Relate well and respect cultural and human diversity.
- Be flexible, solve problems effectively, and prioritize tasks.
- Must be available for the entire 6-week program and pre-program training and orientation.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- Bachelor's degree required; degree in education or a unique content area of need (ELA, Math, STEM, Arts, etc.).
- Three years teaching experience in grades 7-12.
- Experience working with diverse populations and age groups, with particular emphasis on working with young people, grades 7-12.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle or feel; frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment is moderately noisy. There is exposure to dust and changes in weather conditions. Employees must be able to handle stress and be flexible and able to interact with students employees at all levels.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:
The position may change based upon needs of the program and/or organizational needs and available funding. In compliance with federal and state regulations, College Success Foundation maintains a drug free environment and all successful applicants must pass a drug screen prior to hire. Employees of College Success Foundation and its subsidiaries must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural and diverse work environment.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods, or otherwise to balance the workload.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.