| Job Description
CSSP seeks a Program/Research Assistant in the Washington, DC office. The Program/Research Assistant will support project work in multiple areas with a primary focus on the work of CSSP’s Systems Change team. Program/Research Assistants provide a combination of program support and administrative functions including conducting policy and program research, writing policy or research papers and issue briefs, quantitative and qualitative data analysis, scheduling and preparing materials for workshops and meetings, contributing to the design and preparation of technical assistance tools and helping to schedule and support meetings and webinars. The Program/Research Assistant’s role will focus on several of CSSP’s ongoing projects including: CSSP’s role as court monitor in child welfare reform efforts in the District of Columbia, New Jersey and South Carolina; getR.E.A.L; and CSSP’s Race Equity Team. This position is ideal for someone interested in starting a career in public policy, system reform or community change.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Conduct literature reviews and Web-based research.
- Quantitative and qualitative data analysis.
- Assist with state bi-annual monitoring reports compilation, formatting, graphs, data tracking, data validation and tables.
- Assist in developing a range of written materials, policy and practice guides, technical assistance tools, grant proposal writing, race equity newsletter, blog posts, website content and other Web-based materials.
- Write meeting notes and share with event participants.
- Attend briefings and meetings, and prepare summaries for CSSP team.
- Assist with planning and execution of conferences and webinars, including the ability to effectively use the technology to support these conferences/webinars.
- Provide administrative support for the teams through preparing expense reports, scheduling team meetings, coordinating travel and responding to correspondence.
- Organize and maintain electronic and hard-copy project materials.
- Serve as back-up to the CSSP receptionist with general office management, including answering phones, greeting visitors, receiving incoming faxes and mail, sending packages, filing and ordering supplies.
- Support other work as assigned.
- Strong interest in social policy, particularly in creating pathways out of poverty and reforming child welfare, juvenile justice and other human service systems
- Commitment to equity – working to reduce disparities based on race, ethnicity, sovereignty, gender, sexual orientation/gender identity and socioeconomics.
- BA with relevant internship or professional experience; ideally have an interest in pursuing a graduate degree in public administration, public policy, social work or related fields.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent attention to detail, deadlines and organizational and time management skills.
- Strong analytical and research skills.
- Work well independently and as a member of a team.
- Knowledge of computers and technology – in particular, proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, audio/visual and conference calling technology.
- Familiarity with social media, blog and website platforms.
- Flexibility and an ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to lifelong learning and curiosity.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
Compensation and Benefits:
Starting salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits provided including short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, health insurance, retirement benefits, generous vacation, sick and holiday leave. CSSP is an equal opportunity employer and strongly believes that our organization and our work benefit from the experiences and perspectives of a diverse staff.
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants should send cover letter with salary requirements, resume and writing sample to email@example.com (subject: Program/Research Assistant – DC Office).
Position will remain open until filled.