American Humane seeks a Senior Accountant to manage the accounting for all accounts receivable, cash receipts and bank transactions. This position is based at American Humane’s national headquarters in Washington, DC and reports directly to Controller.
Founded in 1877, American Humane is committed to ensuring the safety, welfare and well-being of animals. Our leadership programs are first to serve in promoting and nurturing the bonds between animals and humans. We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation.
As member of the Finance team, this position is expected to maintain the general ledger for the bank and other balance sheet accounts. This position will work closely with other departments to generate invoices and to properly record cash receipts.
- Prepare bank reconciliations
- Provide general ledger account analysis
- Manage accounts receivable processes, including invoicing and follow-up
- Conduct cash receipt processing
- Work closely with Development staff to reconcile accounting records with fundraising records
- Assist with the audit schedule preparation
- Cross-train with Staff Accountant for accounts payable processing
- Cross-train with Controller for payroll processing
- Other duties as needed
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting, finance or related field.
- 2 or more years of experience working in an accounting department required; nonprofit accounting experience preferred
- Experience conducting bank reconciliations
- Significant understanding of Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel
- Pay strong attention to detail
- Experience with Dynamics SL - Solomon accounting software
- Ability to analyze and resolve technical accounting issues
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other staff and external constituents
- Maintain confidentiality use discretion when dealing with sensitive information
Physical demands and work environment:
- Position based in Washington, DC national headquarters office
- Standard Office Environment with animal occasionally visiting the office
Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Respect for all
Loyalty to mission
Honesty, integrity, trust
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
American Humane is an Equal Opportunity Employer