The Aspen Institute:
The Aspen Institute is an international non-profit organization dedicated to informed dialogue and inquiry on issues of global concern. Founded in 1950, it has pursued its mission of fostering enlightened leadership through seminars, policy studies and fellowship programs. The Institute is headquartered inWashington,DC, and has campuses inAspen,Colorado, and on theWyeRiveronMaryland'sEastern Shore. Its international network includes partner Aspen Institutes in ten countries, and leadership programs in Africa, Central America and India.
The Socrates Program:
The Socrates Program is a global leadership forum designed to provide emerging leaders with access to values and ethics-based learning on contemporary leadership topics through expert-moderated, text-based socratic discussion with peers. The Socrates network (6,000+) includes a diverse group of investors, policy experts, entrepreneurs, academics, journalists and artists from across the US and 30 countries. Socrates typically meets twice per year in Aspen, hosts a handful of one day seminars in select US cities and weekend seminars with international partners across the globe. Further details about the program may be found here: www.aspeninstitute.org/socrates.
The Program Coordinator is primarily responsible for the administrative and program support of the Socrates Program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Support Deputy Director in the preparation and development of Socrates programs and events including:
- Assume a lead role in pre-seminar planning and post-seminar wrap-up for Socrates events. Manage all logistics planning for seminars and salon events including securing contracts, negotiation, travel, and reconciling payments.
- Research moderators, topics, biographies and contact details and communicate regularly with moderators to confirm logistical and programmatic details.
- Develop and assist recruiting initiatives for Socrates events
- Manage online registration, biographies and photographs of moderators and participants.
- Build and manage databases of moderators, scholars and participants for Socrates programs.
- Work with communications staff on marketing and communications initiatives to promote Socrates events
- Work to create and maintain inventory of materials to market Socrates seminars (brochures, direct mail materials, web-based items) to prospects and alumni.
- Prepare presentations for the program as needed
- Serve as staff liaison to the online community manager including the Socrates Facebook and Linked in groups, and maintain the Socrates website.
- General Correspondence, including written correspondence to donors and vendors, preparation of Requests for Payments.
- Coordinating and attending meetings for Socrates program.
- Maintenance and update Socrates database (Raiser's edge soon to be Illuminate)]
- Prepare and summarize Socrates seminar evaluation reports.
- Back-stop Socrates Deputy Director as necessary during seminars.
- Provide support as needed for the Socrates steering committee and Seminars subcommittee
- Prepare expense and reimbursement requests for the Socrates Director as necessary.
- Supervision and direction to summer intern
- File management and phone and email support as needed
- Other responsibilities as deemed necessary, and provide support to Public Programs department as necessary.
- Interacts routinely with Socrates alumni, vendors, external constituents, Public Programs team, Communications team, Development team, and the Aspen Institute Community
This search is being conducted internally and externally at the Aspen Institute, with strong preference for an internal Aspen Institute candidate with previous experience. The ideal candidate will posses the following skills and attributes:
- Bachelor's degree and one-two years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent organizational, multitasking, planning, interpersonal and time management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to travel to Aspen at least twice annually, and to the Wye, MD facility and other select US cities as needed.
- Proficiency in internet use, Raiser's edge maintenance, website content and management, Microsoft office suite, particularly excel.
- Excellent team skills. Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a group to produce successful results
- Demonstration of professionalism and sound decision-making skills
- Attention to Communication
- Attention to Detail
- Fostering Teamwork
- Comfort with Ambiguity
- Entrepreneurial Mindset