The YMCA of Columbia-Willamette is a mission driven organization, which seeks individuals who are enthusiastic and passionate about our mission and vision. We do this by putting the Christian principles of love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service into practice.
Under the supervision of the Aquatics Program Director, the Program Instructor will be trained to teach classes and administer the YMCA program class.
The Water Fitness Instructor is responsible for instructing the program under the YMCA guidelines and planning the program to assist in meeting the goals and objectives of the Clark County Family YMCA through its mission and five core values of love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service. This position is scheduled to work mornings, Monday through Friday 8:45am to 10:00am.
* Instru ctor program class(es) in YMCA format and under YMCA guidelines.
* Keep accurate statistics.
* Arrive 15 minutes early to set up, prepare for class, and talk with participants. Allow time after class to talk with participants and meet their needs.
* Follow YMCA policies and procedures (dress code, etc.)
* Attend all staff meetings.
* Meet educational mission and goal for the class and the Clark County Family YMCA.
* Membership retention duties including, but not limited to knowing names of members, assisting
members in classes, being enthusiastic, encouraging and personable when interacting with participants.
* Have an organized daily lesson plan; come prepared for class and follow the plan.
* Find own substitute for classes, and have approved by supervisor.
* Assist in special events when required.
* Attend ongoing training events when requested.
* Facilitate proper care and use of all equipment before, during and after class. Store properly and keep facilities clean and orderly.
* Incorporate and Model our YMCA Christian principles into your work
Commit to establishing long-term relationships with staff, volunteers, participants, members and families
* Ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationship with both member and staff and give directions in an authoritative, yet tactful manner.
* Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and physical ability to act.
* Ability to adequately observe participant activities, enforce safety regulations and apply appropriate management techniques.
* Ability to perform aquatic fitness classes. (Deep water and shallow water).
* Ability to provide a high quality of customer satisfactions to member while performing job functions.
* Conduct general fitness classes
* General knowledge of water exercise training
* Experience as a participant or instructor in exercise class or sports activity in the water
* CPR, First Aid required
* Must pass YMCA background check
* YMCA Basic Fitness Leadership and Y's Way to Water Exercise Instructor certification preferred or willing to obtain
1. Demonstrates in word and action the Y's Christian principles of love, honesty, respect, responsibility and service and a commitment to the Y's vision and mission.
2. Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual an d team performance to support the Y's work.
3. Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
4. Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence.
5. Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
6. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
7. Assesses, minimizes and prevents risk, practices consideration for the safety of others, adheres to Association standards of proper notification of incidents and care of the work environment and equipment, identifies and responds to circumstances appropriately.
8. Meets attendance expectations, follows Association procedures for requesting and documenting absences, i s punctual, reliable, and adaptable, takes initiative, and accepts responsibility.
9. Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills, perceives, understands and manages interactions appropriately, is accountable for own actions, capitalizes on learning opportunities, and is open to performance feedback and coaching.
10. Demonstrates compliance in the following areas: Compli, employee paperwork, performance evaluations, personnel policies, and procedures i.e. dress code, code of conduct. Attends mandatory trainings and meetings, acquires and maintains required certifications for current position.
Supervisor: Angela Garner
Branch Location: Clark County Family YMCA
11324 NE 51st Cir, Vancouver, WA 98682
Branch Fax: 360-885-8383
The YMCA of Columbia-Willamette is a mission driven organization, which seeks individu als who are enthusiastic and passionate about our purpose and mission. We do this by putting the Christian principles of love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service into practice.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Salary: US$15 - US$18 per hour + ymcacw.org/careers