The YMCA of Columbia-Willamette is a mission driven organization, which seeks individuals who are enthusiastic and passionate about our purpose and mission. We do this by putting the Christian principles of love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service into practice
Objective: Under the direction of the Swim Lesson Supervisor, Swimming Instructors teach swim lessons according to the National YMCA Program, and American Red Cross.
Job Responsibilities: This position entails assisting swim instructor staff, greeting parents and children, teaching classes, prepare lesson plans and report cards and attending scheduled meetings. The lesson schedule will include evening hours. Ages of students range from 6 months to adult.
* When needed, provide support to Swim Lesson Supervisor by assisting with scheduling, creating class rosters for each session, assisting with trainings, assisting with instructor evaluations, and evaluating staff and leading by example.
* Instruct in water and support students.
* Office desk work as needed, i.e. making copies of report cards, laminating rosters, making phone calls to parents/guardians, etc.
* Teach classes in accordance with the National YMCA Aquatics program each day of the session.
* Instructors will be prepared and on time for class to greet parents and children; will clean up area after class.
* Instructor will plan class by having an organized format.
* Conduct and evaluate classes assigned.
* Instructor will understand the mission of the YMCA-developing people's spirit, mind and body through swimming.
* Establish good rapport with parents, children, and staff.
* Document any substitutions, lost or broken equipment, and injuries to supervisor.
* Attend all staff meetings.
* Provide safe and clean environment for children.
* Current WSI or YMCA instructor certifications, or 3 yrs equivalent training or experience.
* Current First Aid certification
* Current CPR with AED certification
* Willing and able to attain and maintain CPR for the professional rescuer and first aide.
* Ability to adequately observe participants skills, enforce safety regulations and utilize appropriate instructional techniques.
Essential Functions Of Job:
* Able to lift 50 lbs comfortably
* Ability to adequately observe participants skills, enforce safety regulations and utilize appropriate instructional techniques
* Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents, and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency situation
* Ability to communicate instructions to participants effectively in English
* Family friendly swimsuits only. No hats or shirts.
* Incorporate and Model our YMCA Christian principles into your work
* Instructor will adhere to policies and guidelines of the YMCA.
* Instructor will support the YMCA, in general the staff supervisors, volunteers, members and community.
* Perform all other duties as assigned.
1.Demonstrates in word and action the Y's Christian principles of love, honesty, respect, responsibility and service and a commitment to the Y's vision and mission.
2.Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y's work.
3. Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
4.Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence.
5. Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
6.Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
7.Assesses, minimizes and prevents risk, practices consideration for the safety of others, adheres to Association standards of proper notification of incidents and care of the work environment and equipment, identifies and responds to circumstances appropriately.
8.Meets attendance expectations, follows Association procedures for requesting and documenting absences, is punctual, reliable, and adaptable, takes initiative, and accepts responsibility.
9.Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills, perceives, understands and manages interactions appropriately, is accountable for own actions, capitalizes on learning opportunities, and is open to performance feedback and coaching.
10.Demonstrates compliance in the following areas: Compli, employee paperwork, performance evaluations, personnel policies, and procedures i.e. dress code, code of conduct. Attends mandatory trainings and meetings, acquires and maintains required certifications for current position.
11.Leads self and others through change by navigating ambiguity appropriately and adapting well to new situations, obstacles, and opportunities.
12.Integrates logic, intuition and sound judgment to analyze information to identify greatest opportunities, make sound decisions and solve problems.
The YMCA of Columbia-Willamette is a mission driven organization, which seeks individuals who are enthusiastic and passionate about our purpose and mission. We do this by putting the Christian principles of love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service into practice.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Salary: US$11 - US$12 per hour + ymcacw.org/careers