Make It Happen (MIH) is a three day, two night, college campus experience for students who have personal experience in foster care. MIH attendees are 11th and 12th graders and rising college freshmen. Summer program activities include college readiness workshops, resource connection events, and opportunities for strengthening supportive networks. As a result of attending MIH, students will feel more equipped to develop and initiate their post-secondary education plans. :
MIH takes place on the campus of The University of Puget Sound (UPS) in Tacoma, WA. Students and staff will reside on the UPS campus throughout the program, staying overnight in gender-specific residence halls.
Overnight Counselors will work the nights of June 26, 27, and 28 from 10 pm 7 am with a 2 hour orientation prior to the first shift on Monday the 26.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide overnight supervision to a floor of students residing in a college dorm.
- Ensure no one leaves their assigned floor after lights out.
- Notify appropriate College Success Foundation staff in the event of an emergency or student issue.
- Engage with students in a professional manner that upholds a safe and inclusive environment for all.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to stay awake and alert overnight.
- Must be available for all three overnight shifts (June 26, 27, and 28).
- Ability to follow safety protocol including willingness to respectfully confront student(s) if they are not acting in accordance with MIH rules.
- Passion for working with high school students and helping them realize their potential.
- Personal knowledge of, or an interest in learning about, the foster care system and the unique needs and strengths of students with experience in care.
- Ability to communicate effectively and develop positive relationships with students as well as fellow counselors, volunteers, and CSF staff.
- Ability to demonstrate patience, flexibility, empathy, professionalism, and good judgement even in stressful situations.
- Respect for human diversity in all its forms, and commitment to facilitating a safe and inclusive environment for all students, volunteers, and staff.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- Must be a currently enrolled college or graduate student in good standing, or a recent graduate within the last two years.
- Must be able to arrange own transportation to and from event.
- Experience as a camp counselor, facilitating after-school or enrichment programs, coaching youth sports teams, or other youth development experience a plus.
- We strongly encourage alumni of foster care, alumni of CSF programming, and CSF scholarship recipients (or former recipients) to apply.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; reach with hands and arms and talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle or feel; frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Work environment is moderately quiet. Employees must be able to handle stress and be flexible and able to interact with students and employees at all levels.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:
The position may change based upon needs of the program and/or organizational needs and available funding. In compliance with federal and state regulations, College Success Foundation maintains a drug free environment and all successful applicants must pass a drug screen prior to hire. Employees of College Success Foundation and its subsidiaries must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural and diverse work environment.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods, or otherwise to balance the workload.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.