SNAP AmeriCorps members are passionate and committed to the mission of the Sierra Nevada Alliance, SNAP, and AmeriCorps. Members make a 5-month, full-time commitment to serve a nonprofit organization or public agency in the Sierra Nevada. The SNAP Term of Service is from April 8, 2019 - September 22, 2019. Time Commitment: 900 hours total, approximately 40 hours per week.
The Youth Education Programs Coordinator is responsible for assisting with all youth programs related to the TRTA including but not limited to educational hikes, school programs, Youth Backcountry Camps, and service learning workdays. The incumbent is given the opportunity to work with youth, community members and volunteers through the development, coordination, and facilitation of TRTA Youth Education programs. For this six month AmeriCorps position, the member will primarily focus on the Youth Backcountry Camp program serving as an instructor for four-day backpacking trips for youth and organizing logistics, working with partner organizations, and coordinating with parents. Additionally, the member will organize trail building workdays for local youth.
• Must be 18 years of age, or older
• Because this position requires driving, applicants must be 21+
• Ability and willingness to undergo a federal criminal background check is required
• Must have a valid driver's license and clean driving record
• Effective communication skills with people of diverse ages and backgrounds
• Must be able to communicate clearly and consistently with TRTA staff
• Possess an enthusiastic, hardworking, flexible and positive attitude
• Experience with program facilitation for youth (K-12)
• Background in Environmental/Outdoor Education, Environmental Science or demonstrated interest/commitment
• Interest and experience in experiential education, backpacking, wilderness survival, ecology and Leave No Trace
• Ability to work weekends, evenings, and holidays.
• Motivation, stamina, and ability to work up to 12 hours a day in the field teaching youth groups, carrying a backpack with up to 40 lbs. for five miles.
• Experience with basic computer programs including the Microsoft Office Suite
• First Aid or Wilderness First Aid certified
• Lifeguard certification
• Knowledge and understanding of Leave No Trace principals
• Spanish language proficiency