The YMCA of Columbia-Willamette is a mission driven organization, which seeks individuals who are enthusiastic and passionate about our mission and vision. We do this by putting the Christian principles of love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service into practice.
Under the supervision of the Director of Healthy Living, the group exercise instructor will be able to teach a variety of classes, but specifically the Cycle/Spin class. He/she is responsible for instructing the classes under the YMCA guidelines and assisting the director in meeting the goals and objectives of the Sherwood Regional Family YMCA.
Lead and organize group exercise programs to help members improve their health and fitness. Scope of work includes instructing Cycle/Spin class and encouraging participants to reach goals and enjoy the activity. Applicants need to be outgoing and friendly with the ability to motivate and inspire our members.
Scheduled Hours: Evening/Weekend classes, with potential for additional classes
* Instruct program class(es) in YMCA format and under YMCA guidelines.
* Keep accurate statistics: turn in attendance forms in a timely manner.
* Arrive 15 minutes early to set up and prepare for class and talk with participants. Allow time after class to talk with participants and meet their needs.
* Follow YMCA policies and procedures (dress code, etc.)
* Attend all staff meetings.
* Meet educational and mission goals for the class and the Sherwood Regional Family YMCA.
* Membership Retention Duties including, but not limited to knowing names of members, assisting members in classes, being enthusiastic, encouraging and personable when interac ting with participants.
* Assist in the Annual Campaign by identifying names for volunteer campaigners and leadership, effectively communicate the mission of the YMCA and how Campaign fulfills that mission.
* Have an organized daily lesson plan; come prepared for class and follow the plan.
* Find own substitute for classes, and have approved by supervisor.
* Assist in special events when requested.
* Maintain current CPR, First Aid, and group exercise certifications.
Incorporate and Model our YMCA Christian principles into your work
* Commit to establishing long-term relationships with staff, volunteers, participants, members and families.
* Ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationships with both members and staff and give directions in authoritative, yet tactful manner.
* Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents, and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency situation.
* Ability to adequately observe participant activities, enforce safety regulations and apply appropriate management techniques.
* Ability to perform a variety of classes including, but not limited to starter fitness, step, Zumba, cardio circuit, kickboxing.
* Experience as a participant in exercise or sports activity and up to one year experience instructing group exercise
* Current CPR/AED/First Aid certification
* Nationally recognized certification
* Must pass YMCA background check
* YMCA Principles of Healthy Lifestyles or Foundations of Group Exercise
1. Demonstrates in word and action the Y's Christian principles of love, honesty, respect, responsibility and service and a commitment to the Y's vision and mission.
2. Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y's work.
3. Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
4. Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence.
5. Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
6. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
7. Assesses, minimizes and prevents risk, practices consideration for the safety of others, adheres to Association standards of proper no tification of incidents and care of the work environment and equipment, identifies and responds to circumstances appropriately.
8. Meets attendance expectations, follows Association procedures for requesting and documenting absences, is punctual, reliable, and adaptable, takes initiative, and accepts responsibility.
9. Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills, perceives, understands and manages interactions appropriately, is accountable for own actions, capitalizes on learning opportunities, and is open to performance feedback and coaching.
10. Demonstrates compliance in the following areas: CollaborNation, employee paperwork, performance evaluations, personnel policies, and procedures i.e. dress code, code of conduct. Attends mandatory trainings and meetings, acquires and maintains required certifications for current position.
11. Delivers the benefits of good health, strong connections, greater self-confidence and a sense of security to all who seek it.
12. Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others' capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
How to Apply:
Program Director of Healthy Living
23000 SW Pacific Highway
Sherwood, OR 97140
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all respon sibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Salary: US$18 - US$20 per hour + ymcacw.org/careers