The YMCA of Columbia-Willamette is a mission driven organization, which seeks individuals who are enthusiastic and passionate about our mission and vision. We do this by putting the Christian principles of love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service into practice through programs that build a healthy spirit, mind, and body for all.
Under the supervision of the Associate Aquatics Director, the Program Coordinator will provide support in all areas of the aquatic department, but specialize primarily in swim lessons. This position will assist in organizing aquatics programs and assist the part-time staff in the areas of aquatics and planning for safety, security, and delivering a quality program.
Work with the aquatics team to administer programs and get to know members of all ages. Work alongside Associate Aquatics Director to ensure a safe aquatic environment and ensure aq uatics program coverage including recruiting and training new instructors and continuing swim instructor training through in-services, program audits, and employee and member feedback. The Coordinator will assist in overseeing program delivery, assist in aquatics marketing; keeping tri-folds, schedules and calendars up-to-date, creating flyers; and assisting with other duties as requested. Serve as a lifeguard or swim instructor for a minimum of 10 hours per week.
* Act as point of contact for members/participants to answer any general questions or resolve complaints
* Responsible to ensure all participants are in the right class times and levels
* Responsible for program flyers and tri-folds related to assigned Aquatics programs
* Responsible for maintaining the Swim Lesson and Group Aquatics Program Schedule on Google Calendar and Daxko Mobile for every session incl uding communication with the welcome center to ensure accuracy
* Responsible for Group Lesson Rosters
* Assists in the administration of private lessons, including but not limited to maintaining group and private lesson schedules, assist with placement, collecting fees, and processing refunds as requested.
* Conduct and evaluate swim lessons as needed or assigned
* Be present during regularly scheduled swim lessons either as an on-deck presence or in the water as an instructor, or secure adequate swim lesson supervision during those times
* Be able to lift 50 pounds
* Maintain the pool deck bulletin boards for communication to members and participants about aquatics programs
* Keep updated Aquatic contact list of instructional staff
* Register people for every variety of aquatics programs and maintain Rosters/Attendance sheets for group less ons, private lessons, and check for accuracy
* Responsible for processing payments and refunds of a variety of aquatic activities
* Responsible for registration and withdrawals of participants in programs
* Administration of programs as assigned
* Assist in planning aquatics programs to meet goals and objectives of association, branch, and department
* Support aquatics staff to ensure they can meet expectations as outlined in job descriptions and YMCA policies. This my include training, role modeling, finding coverage when pool is not adequately staffed, providing program coverage in case of instructor absence, and reporting any performance deficiencies to the Associate Aquatics Director.
* Oversee all activities in the pool area, ensuring the safety of everyone in the pool area
* Keep the pool area clean and orderly, removing unnecessary items from the pool deck and performing extra cleaning duties as assigned. Assign duties to staff as needed.
* Membership retention duties include, but are not limited to, knowing names of members, providing members with general YMCA information, establishing a good rapport with members. Keep accurate statistics of program attendance and general pool use.
* Dress according to the staff uniform policy, determined by the branch and supervisor, and ensure that staff follow the uniform policy
* Assist in developing and implementing marketing, promotion and public relations strategies for the YMCA and program as assigned. Follow YMCA Marketing plan and Image Development policy. Assist in completing written articles for program schedules, newsletters and others
* Assist in directing, conducting, and organizing reports to collaborating agencies, physicians, or people as assigned
* Self-Development: Seek appropriate train ing to carry out responsibilities for position, keep abreast of developments in assigned area, and keep informed of changes, trends, and new techniques affecting YMCA programming
* Perform other duties as assigned
* Establish and maintain harmonious relationships with both members and staff and give directions in authoritative, yet tactful manner
* Ability to adequately observe, administrate, and lead participant activities, enforce safety regulations and apply appropriate management techniques
* Ability to communicate effectively with members and staff
* Ability to supervise a variety of activities going on at the same time
* Ability to react swiftly and efficiently in emergency situation
* Must pass YMCA background check
* Understand ing of facilities' emergency procedures
* Lifeguard Certification or ability to obtain Lifeguard Certification within 60 days
* YMCA, American Red Cross, or equivalent Swim Instructor Certification
* Supervisor Experience
* Lifeguard Instructor Certification
* Water Fitness Instructor Training or Experience
1. Demonstrates in word and action the Y's Christian principles of love, honesty, respect, responsibility and service and a commitment to the Y's vision and mission.
2. Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y's work.
3. Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
4. Values all people for their unique tal ents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence.
5. Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
6. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
7. Assesses, minimizes and prevents risk, practices consideration for the safety of others, adheres to Association standards of proper notification of incidents and care of the work environment and equipment, identifies and responds to circumstances appropriately.
8. Meets attendance expectations, follows Association procedures for requesting and documenting absences, is punctual, reliable, and adaptable, takes initiative, and accepts responsibility.
9. Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills, perceives, understands and manages interactions appropriately, is accountable for own actions, capita lizes on learning opportunities, and is open to performance feedback and coaching.
10. Demonstrates compliance in the following areas: CollaborNation, employee paperwork, performance evaluations, personnel policies, and procedures i.e. dress code, code of conduct. Attends mandatory trainings and meetings, acquires and maintains required certifications for current position.
Associate Aquatic Director
Sherwood Regional Family YMCA
23000 SW Pacific Hwy
Sherwood, OR 97140
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Salary: US$12.75 - US$15.75 per hour + ymcacw.org/careers