EL CENTRO DE LA RAZA
Provides administrative support to the Executive Director.
- Provides staff support to the Executive Director by handling routine correspondence, letter writing, phone calls, e-mail management, invitations for speaking engagements, thank you notes, & general scheduling of meetings and lunches. Assistant meets with the Executive Director daily to bring to her/his attention e-mail request and phone calls that need a response. Provides tours for guests of the Executive Office and Plaza Roberto Maestas Capital Campaign. Attends meetings with Executive Director when necessary. Maintains and updates Executive Director’s biography as needed. Also included are errands and other miscellaneous administrative duties.
- Board Liaison: apart from the Executive Director, is the primary contact between the Board of Directors and the organization, coordinates and staffs monthly meetings, collects board reports, maintains and sends out minutes, updates annual board book and other duties as assigned.
- Plaza Roberto Maestas Steering Committee Liaison: coordinates communication with the committee, maintains annual meeting schedule, staffs meetings and works in collaboration with the PRM team.
- Advocacy & Community Organizing Efforts: leads and/or supports any advocacy efforts that the organization engages in. Works closely with partner individuals/groups/agencies to execute campaign.
- Events: provides support for/leads cultural events such as Cinco de Mayo, Annual Gala, Día de los Muertos and Las Posadas as well as other events scheduled throughout the year.
- Marketing: supports marketing efforts and campaigns for El Centro de la Raza’s economic development programs that include Christmas Trees and others. Is responsible for establishing and executing a strategic social media marketing plan that incorporates the organization’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages.
- Charlas: assists in scheduling weekly staff meetings, is responsible for ensuring recognition of staff birthdays on a monthly basis in coordination with the Executive Director and sends out official meeting communication to staff.
- Human Resources: Develops biographies for Executive Director and key staff members as needed, processes business card requests.
- Lobbying: Tracks the organization’s lobbying activities for annual reporting purposes.
- Bank Accounts: Assists Executive Director with organization’s bank accounts
- Maintains a daily work log and establishes daily priorities to ensure an organized workload.
- Special projects as assigned
- Arrange for lunches and meetings.
- Retrieves Mail from Central office
- Provides translation of documents into Spanish, simultaneous translation during meetings, and translation during presentations and for special guests as needed.
- Maintains media directory and acts as the primary contact for news correspondences.
- Drafts press releases and public service announcements.
- Maintain record of offsite serve backups and coordinate with tech support.
- Provides trouble shooting of problems and administrative support.
- Maintains the check-out form for the Executive Office keys and the organizational technology chart.
- Attends weekly Leadership and Charla meetings.
- Supervises volunteers and Workstudy students as needed.
- Other tasks as assigned.
A successful candidate will support the mission, principles and goals of the organization.
- Exercises initiative in independent problem solving, skillful organizing and performing multiple tasks within the expected timeline.
- Understands the duties and responsibilities of the position and how it supports the overall organizational mission, goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates ability to maintain composure and work effectively in stressful situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively, demonstrates respect, and work effectively with multi-ethnic and culturally diverse populations. Awareness of the concerns of the Latino community and communities of color.
- Effective planning, time management, project management, and organizational skills.
- Must be able to maintain a neat and orderly work area.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a high-volume, fast-paced environment, and work well under pressure
- Well-developed proof reading & review skills.
- Must be able to maintain confidences and handle highly confidential materials.
- Must perform in a professional manner at all times.
Essential minimum skills, education, and experience:
- B.A. degree required.
- Work experience in an office environment and adherence to office protocol.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Windows & Excel.
- Must possess strong written and oral communication in Spanish & English
- Strong coordination skills.
- Maintains a valid driver’s license and proof of insurability.
Additional Preferences and Responsibilities:
- Bi-lingual in Spanish to be able to communicate with the Spanish-speaking constituency that drops by the Executives Director’s office seeking assistance.
Works in a general office environment a minimum of 40 hours per week. Works a flexible schedule, normally 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Some Flex scheduling for attendance at board meetings and other meetings/events as needed.
NOTES AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
The above duties or working procedures describe the chief function of the job and are not considered to be a detailed description of every duty of the job. This position will require a 6-month evaluation period.