The Mayfair Coordinator develops strong leadership in the predominantly immigrant Mayfair community amongst neighborhood residents and school parents; facilitates solution-based discussions around multi-generational challenges and supports the development of community strategies to support a thriving and vibrant Mayfair.
The Mayfair Coordinator reports directly to SOMOS Mayfair’s Program Manager and works alongside a team of Coordinators to develop strategies for authentic parent decision making in our local and statewide education systems. The Coordinator will be charged with the recruitment of parent leaders, provide training and skill building in community organizing, and work with the local school district to bring parent-led solutions to fruition. The Coordinator will work with the Program Manager to support organizing strategies that result in increased resources in our community and school success across our traditional public schools. The coordinator will continue to build alliances and partnerships locally to increase the base of parents.
SOMOS Mayfair was created in 1997 to address the chronic crises that resulted from the high rates of poverty in the Mayfair neighborhood of East San Jose. As SOMOS has effectively and comprehensively responded to community needs we have honed our focus on building the power of our community to proactively address two long-term community priorities - fostering early school success and community self-determination. The mission of SOMOS Mayfair is to support children, organize families, and connect neighbors to uplift the dreams, power, and leadership of community and address systemic inequities.
Duties and Responsibilities (approximate % of time & priority):
Training, leadership development and engagement of community leaders (60%)
1. Implement SOMOS Mayfair leadership development curriculum with parents in the Alum Rock Union School District;
2. Conduct individual and group meetings with parent and youth at different school sites regularly to provide constructive feedback and observation, as well as to assist with conflict resolution and problem solving as needed;
3. Develop concrete strategies and activities to support the overall goals of parent engagement and school accountability;
4. Coordinate work with all Mayfair coordinators to align organizing strategies, platform, outreach, and strategic direction across all community leaders and schools;
5. Work with Program Manager to develop messages and analysis of Community Organizing and Early School Success.
External Relationships, Regional Advocacy & Policy (20%)
1. Establish productive working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, organizations, local school and school district and agencies to ensure and promote the long-term organizational mission and goals;
2. Represent SOMOS Mayfair at meetings with external stakeholders and allies;
3. Participate in regional and statewide efforts to advance the efforts of Promotores and community organizers working in neighborhoods like Mayfair.
4. Conduct critical community and stakeholder analysis to uphold and reconcile different interests impacted by ongoing organizing activities, tactics, and goals.
5. Develop, research and implement strategic governance policies to advance the community-led efforts and SOMOS platform in a school, city and or county setting.
Impact Evaluation (15%)
1. Participate in conducting SOMOS Mayfair’s annual survey to measure neighborhood wide impacts;
2. Ensure program evaluation tools are correctly utilized to measure impact with group participants;
3. Conduct strategic evaluation of program area with support Program Manager biannually;
4. Conduct strategic planning with leaders in program area as well as collectively in team to ensure program effectiveness, deep and sustainable impact and continuous growth.
Professional Development (5%)
1. Create an annual professional development plan to develop or strengthen essential skills and seek opportunities for greater and on-going learning, including community organizing models and the practice of popular education pedagogy;
2. Participate in agency wide decision-making arenas and in regular internal political education as needed;
3. Contribute to the development of organizational world-view and development of strategic plan.
1. Deep passion and commitment to advancing social justice in immigrant, working class communities;
2. Able to interact well with young children and adults;
3. Expertise in public presentations and group facilitation;
4. Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to communicate with a broad audience;
5. Experience in applying popular education methodology;
6. Experience in community organizing, community leadership development or peer-to-peer service delivery models (ie. Promotor) in working poor, immigrant communities;
7. Bilingual/biliterate Spanish-English required;
8. Valid California drivers license and proof of auto insurance required;
9. Computer proficient in MS Word, Excel, Internet and e-mail;
10. Able to work flexible hours, including some nights and weekends;
11. Fingerprint and background check required.
SOMOS Mayfair is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, disability or veteran status.