KQED is Northern California’s PBS and NPR public media affiliate. Our mission is to serve our Bay Area communities by providing award-winning news, arts and science content across television, radio and digital platforms. KQED also offers professional development and classroom resources for educators in local and national networks.
We are seeking an experienced and collaborative Digital Media Designer who will lead, and expand, the digital services the design team provides for marketing, social media, email newsletters and online video production. The ideal candidate will have a desire to grow the creative capacity of our team, while having stake in KQED’s mission in making a difference in the communities we serve.
The Digital Media Designer reports to the Creative Director, and is a member of the KQED design team in the Marketing & Communications Department.
1. Establish role as the design team’s expert on digital media trends, defining opportunities for applications, and prescribing new ways to incorporate new technology and processes.
2. Ensure KQED brand consistency across social media, digital video channels and email.
3. Format deliverables for digital applications and integrated campaigns, including: websites, HTML5 media rich banner ads, social media content and post graphics, and email newsletters.
4. Create motion graphic animations, packaging elements, illustrations and/or infographics for online video production.
5. Aid in the build of slide decks for internal staff presentations in a variety of applications, including: Powerpoint, Google Slides and Keynote.
6. Create Marketing Communications Digital Media Assets Library and assist in sourcing assets for internal clients.
Bachelor’s Degree in graphic design.
1. Minimum 3-5 years of related professional experience as a designer in a digital agency or design environment producing digital marketing assets, motion graphics and video packaging.
2. Bachelor’s Degree in Visual Design, Graphic Design or equivalent from an accredited school.
3. Strong design aesthetic (composition, typography, color).
4. Expert design and production skills for the following:
• Creating media rich HTML5 banner ads
• Producing e-publications
• Motion graphics
5. Experience in designing digital content that works across different devices (desktop, mobile, tablets, etc.), as well as having a good understanding of which platform works best for any given requirement.
6. Interest in digital and mobile marketing as well as being an active participant in social media.
7. Powerpoint, Google Slides, Keynote and other relevant presentation applications.
8. Ability to manage multiple projects from concept to finish within limited timeframes.
8. Must be a team player, capable of receiving direction from Creative Director and collaborating within groups.
9. Proficiency in the following applications:
• Current Adobe Creative Suite which includes, but is not limited to: InDesign (designing in ID’s e-publication workspace required), Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects (familiarity with working in AE’s 3D environment required), Premier, Animate and Dreamweaver
• Cinema 4D
10. Your portfolio and reel must demonstrate your graphic design thinking, core skills and a strong design aesthetic (composition, typography, color) for the following applications:
• Brand identity systems
• Digital creatives for integrated campaigns in the form of media rich HTML5 banner ads and graphics for social media content and posts
• Motion graphics and video packaging elements
1. Video content production and post-production (editing + audio mixing).
2. Photography skills with experience taking portrait shots.
3. Knowledge of user interface design processes and methodology within mobile and desktop environments.
Let us tell you more about our benefits:
Whether you’re single, married, have children, are in a domestic partnership or anything in between, we have you covered. Employees at KQED enjoy a family friendly workplace offering 20 days of paid time off, 11 paid holidays, paid parental leave, family medical leave benefits, comprehensive health/vision/dental and commuter benefits as well as a 403(b) with employer match. KQED encourages diversity, openness and offers training to support personal and professional development. In addition we are proud to offer Employee Resource Groups, wellness programs as well as free KQED membership.
The mission that drives us:
KQED is for everyone who wants to be more.
Our television, radio, digital media, and educational services change lives for the better and help individuals and communities achieve their full potential.
KQED serves the people of Northern California with a community-supported alternative to commercial media.
We provide citizens with the knowledge they need to make informed decisions; convene community dialogue; bring the arts to everyone and engage audiences to share their stories. We help students and teachers thrive in 21st century classrooms, and take people of all ages on journeys of exploration- exposing them to new people, places and ideas.
We celebrate diversity, embrace innovation, value lifelong learning and partner with those who share our passion for public services.