The Science Communications team includes public relations, social media promotion, content distribution, community outreach and audience engagement. The department creates and distributes all promotional materials and advertising for KQED Science. Communications Interns extend the efforts of the department by assisting with day-to-day requests and ongoing projects within the department.
• Researches online media press contacts for specific product pitching.
• Assists in developing social media messages and administering posts and analytics.
• Assists in pitching KQED Science content to online media and public media outlets.
• Assists with social media and press kit assembly and outreach.
• Assists in coordinating quarterly partner and story idea meetings.
• Promote KQED Science content on social media channels.
• Assist in developing social media campaigns and promotions.
• Produces original social media videos and re-editing and repackaging existing content under the guidance of Communications and Engagement Manager.
• Assists with email newsletters – writing, proofreading and sending weekly and biweekly email newsletters.
• Assists with organizing outreach activities and screenings at community events.
• Helps identify community groups to partner with or pitch to.
• Assists in cross-promotion efforts, creating synergy with other departments throughout KQED.
• Interest in science content and a passion for public broadcasting
• Interest or experience in online media, interactive storytelling and blogging
• Strong research skills and the ability to organize complex data and information
• Some experience with video production
• Interest and/or experience in communications and marketing
• Excellent writing and communication skills
• Comfortable reaching out to outlets and influencers to share completed work
• Ability to work independently on tight deadlines and to balance multiple assignments
• Ability to adapt from project to project and platform to platform
• Some knowledge or experience in marketing and/or social media
• Experience with audio and video editing, photography and photo editing
• Fluent on social media platforms
• Strong organizational and research skills and strong attention to detail
The mission that drives us:
KQED is for everyone who wants to be more.
Our television, radio, digital media, and educational services change lives for the better and help individuals and communities achieve their full potential.
KQED serves the people of Northern California with a community-supported alternative to commercial media.
We provide citizens with the knowledge they need to make informed decisions; convene community dialogue; bring the arts to everyone and engage audiences to share their stories. We help students and teachers thrive in 21st century classrooms, and take people of all ages on journeys of exploration- exposing them to new people, places and ideas.
We celebrate diversity, embrace innovation, value lifelong learning and partner with those who share our passion for public services.