Code2040 is a community of Black and Latinx technologists and their allies who are diversifying tech to create a more equitable, inclusive, and prosperous economy. Through high-impact direct service programs, robust in-person and online community engagement, and dynamic storytelling and knowledge sharing, Code2040 empowers and mobilizes diversity champions across the industry. Our goal is to ensure that by 2040---the beginning of the decade when the US will be majority people of color---Black and Latinx people are fully represented in and leading the innovation economy, and have the economic and social capital needed to thrive and build generational wealth.
About the Opportunity
The development team powers the work of our organization, providing the funds to achieve our bold goal and mission. Our team is looking for a Donor Relations Manager to cultivate, manage, and steward donor relationships with the goal of increasing donor retention and revenue. The Donor Relations manager will report to the Senior Director of Development and work cross-functionally with programs, business development, finance, and marketing. This individual will be an integral role to the development team, but will not have direct fundraising responsibilities.
- Serves as a primary point of contact between an assigned group of donors
- Maintains relationships with donors including arranging visits, announcements, and information exchanges
- Acts a liaison between development staff, program staff, and donors to provide cultivation and stewardship assistance to individual donors, corporate donors, foundations, and prospects
- Develops, implements, and evaluates stewardship plans for an assigned group of corporate, foundation, and major donors
- Creates innovative projects and events to thank and steward donors
- Manages and coordinates any campaign-related events
- Ensures timely and effective delivery of benefits and recognition related to donors
What You Bring
- A minimum of 5 years of experience as a donor relations manager, account manager, development or business development professional with experience working with large accounts
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, manage multiple priorities, and take initiative with minimal supervision.
- A sharp attention to detail and diligent follow-up
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills that are effective across multiple audiences including board members, major donors, executives, potential funding partners, volunteers, and internal staff
- Experience in delivering donor or client focused solutions to customer needs
- Excellent listening, negotiation, and presentation skills
Things That Will Catch Our Eye
- Prior experience working with 6-7 figure donors, corporate and/or individuals.
- Experience executing donor/client engagement events
- A creative and innovative approach to identifying opportunities to engage and steward our donors
- A keen business acumen
- Proficiency in CRM tools, preferably Salesforce
You Will Thrive In This Role If You
- Are a problem-solver who doesn’t wait for a “boss” to tell you how to address a challenge.Rather, you take ownership over the strategizing and execution you need to do in order to get the job done.
- You approach each relationship strategically. You always consider the future impact of current actions and situate your work within the context of the broader team.
- You are highly collaborative. You consistently seek out opportunities to engage colleagues in crafting comprehensive donor engagement plans.
- You love interacting with people. At heart, you are a “people-person” who is energized by working one-on-one with donors and clients.
- Are passionate about our mission. You are 100% values and culture aligned with Code2040. The mission is personally integral to your beliefs. Moreover, the organization’s values and culture guide you when navigating conversations with donors.
What To Expect From the Role
The Tangibles and Intangibles
- You will receive generous benefits including, but not limited to, health insurance, commuter benefits, and a generous list of holidays, vacation, and leave
- You will be a key member of a growing team of passionate people who are results-oriented, respect and value diverse ideas and truths, and who balance hard work with self care, humor, and connection
- You will gain access to and build a robust, exciting network of people across the innovation economy
- You will work in San Francisco, a vibrant city full of diverse history, culture, and nearby recreation
- You will have the opportunity to travel to New York City as we expand and engage our donor base in the market
10% of the time within the U.S.
Your application should consist of your resume and cover letter. A few tips for writing your cover letter. Don’t just repeat your resume; we’ll read that too. Your cover letter is your chance to shine and connect your past experience with what we’re looking for. Tell us:
- The unique mix of skills and experience you will bring to the role and our team
- The types of relationships you’ve played an active role in managing and any successes that stemmed from these relationships.
- How you will thrive in the role; what have you done in the past that demonstrates you can be successful?
- What about Code2040’s mission excites you? Why do you want to work with a passionate team committed to disrupting the innovation economy?