Organizational Background: South Kensington Community Partners is a small community-based nonprofit serving the neighborhood of Old/South Kensington. The mission of SKCP is “To connect our community to resources, services, opportunities, the land, and each other. We act as, and encourage others to become, engaged stewards of the neighborhood. We advocate for responsible development that builds upon the physical, social and economic fabric of the neighborhood.”
Position Overview: The Neighborhood Advisory Committee is a program of SKCP. The NAC Coordinator is the person responsible for performing the duties of the program under the standard contract with the City of Philadelphia as described below within a Service Area that includes Old/South Kensington and adjacent neighborhoods. The ideal candidate is resourceful, has an interest in grass-roots community organizing and the following qualifications and attributes:
Ability to prioritize, multitask, and meet deadlines, to work independently, collaboratively, and as a manager
Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills, ability to to interact professionally and adeptly with community members from a variety of backgrounds and perspectives, in a variety of contexts
Leadership ability, management skills, and self-motivation
Skill with modern computer software, internet tools, and apps, including Microsoft Office, Google Docs, social media management, etc.
Ability to write effectively and clearly, including professional and public communications
Associates or Bachelor’s degree in relevant field is preferred; however, prior experience in nonprofit or community-based work can substitute for formal education Experience with community engagement or community organizing preferred
Spanish language fluency a plus
Program Summary: Neighborhood Advisory Committee (NAC) is an extension of the Division of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) of the City of Philadelphia, the purpose of which is to organize communities, promote housing programs, and provide information to residents. This information is provided through various methods, including Service Area Briefings (community meetings), quarterly newsletter, social media etc. The NAC Coordinator will report to his/her agency supervisor. The NAC Coordinator is primarily responsible for targeting low-moderate income people; aid in the prevention or elimination of homelessness; and/or meet community needs having a particular urgency with regards to housing.
Position Responsibilities: The NAC Coordinator is responsible to provide neighborhood citizens with adequate opportunity to participate in neighborhood level planning; contribute to the direct delivery of services by City sponsored programs; and to be the representative organization to provide information and assistance on the activities within the NAC boundaries.
NAC activities and Programs:
▪ Promote City housing programs and disseminate information and track referrals and services.
▪ Conduct Mortgage and Real Estate outreach prevention
▪ Promote programs and services of the organization he/she works for.
▪ Organize and facilitate quarterly Service Area Briefings (SAB) community meetings in the target area, on a topic related to home preservation, tax relief programs, addressing blight etc..
▪ Facilitate education workshops associated with NAC programs.
▪ Actively link organizations and institutions to the community.
▪ Have knowledge of the neighborhood and the resources within its target area.
▪ Keep neighborhood resource directory updated and distributed.
▪ Attend regular neighborhood-wide community meetings
▪ Organize and recruit block captains and hold quarterly meetings to discuss neighborhood-wide issues.
▪ Organize zoning meetings to encourage citizen participation on an as-needed basis. Follow up with letters to the Zoning Board of Adjustments.
▪ Prepare and publish a quarterly newsletter promoting the activities of the NAC and services of the City.
▪ The Agency Service area annual Parade or Festival: Assist in recruiting volunteers, participate in the planning committee, carry out related tasks
▪ Neighborhood Conditions: Actively identify and keep a log of vacant lot and abandoned structures. Promote greening, gardening and gardening education.
▪ Administrative Reporting: Submit a monthly report, staff activities and issues requiring DHCD attention. Report the number of people receiving services monthly. Prepare and distribute minutes for the NAS meetings.
▪ All other tasks assigned by his/her supervisor.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all personnel so classified. This job description may change because of instructions of the funder, amount of funding and/or at the beginning of the contract year. SKCP will accept resumes until the position is filled.
Send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org