Red Hen Press has served both local and national communities as Southern California's largest nonprofit literary publisher for twenty-five years. Our mission is to discover works of literary excellence, support diversity, and promote literacy in our local schools. The press currently maintains five unique programs:
Our authors' works and experiences vary widely in terms of race, nationality, gender, age, sexuality, and ethnicity, and we believe our readership mirrors this diversity.
Development internships are intended for qualified applicants seeking hands-on experience in fundraising, nonprofit development, and/or public relations. Interns must commit to 15 or more hours a week of unpaid experience for at least 3 months, and must be available to work from our office in Pasadena during office hours (9:30 am – 5 pm, M-F).
Development intern duties will vary depending on each intern’s interests and the department’s needs. Some common tasks include: researching new funding sources, writing grant proposals, assisting with Writing in the Schools (a creative writing program for low-income youth), creating fundraising materials and social media posts, and supporting fundraising events. Interns may also be asked to provide general office support—data entry, filing, mailing, etc.—as needed.
- Able to commit to 15+ hours per week for 3+ months
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong research skills, a meticulous attention to detail, a self-starting attitude, the ability to maintain deadlines and work efficiently
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite and Windows 7
- At least two years of an undergraduate degree completed, or equivalent experience
- Love of books and reading, and desire to support your local literary community
- Passion for Red Hen’s mission to discover works of literary excellence, support diversity, and promote literacy in our local schools
- Previous experience in nonprofit fundraising and/or publishing preferred but not required
- Free books
- Relevant work experience and potential work samples
- Free presentations on various publishing topics
- Intern luncheon and Q&A with our Managing Editor and Publisher
- Invitations to Red Hen readings and events
- Course credit (if applicable)
You turn to The Non Profit Network to post your jobs for free! We have lost our funding from the Non Profit that funded this site and we ask your help to keep this site going. Please do your part. It takes just a couple of minutes to make sure that The Non Profit Network is there for you and everybody else. Benefits of contributing click here to know.
Thank you so much!
-The Non Profit Network