Your Mission, Should You Choose to Accept
At the Peery Foundation, our mission is to strengthen youth and families to build lives of dignity and
self-reliance. We invest in and serve social entrepreneurs and leading organizations in the San Francisco Bay Area and around the world. This starts with investing in people, including our own top notch team. Our team is made up of individuals who know the scene, but also know where the roles can be altered to practice philanthropy with humility. Joining our team means you’re committed to working with organizations and community stakeholders with empathy and trust at the forefront.
About The Role
As a Portfolio Associate, you will be focused on building day-to-day relationships with grantees across portfolios through a deep understanding of grantee-centric philanthropy. You’ll be well-versed in the different guidelines we use to choose our grantee partners in each portfolio. You’ll use an overarching set of values and themes around the people, the idea, and the impact to conduct due diligence and make funding recommendations in line with the PF’s direction.
As a Portfolio Associate, you’ll own your relationships and be fearless about collaborating with the entire team to take on our next challenge. You will be an equal contributor in our flat structure, embrace opportunities to learn from those we seek to serve, and champion the PF’s org-wide goals of open communication and collaboration, prioritizing team health, and essentialism.
As Portfolio Associate you’ll also be responsible for:
● Provide grantee-centric support for up to 20 grantee partners, including new grantees
● Communicating to orgs when the PF is not a fit, and preparing due diligence documentation and recommendations
● Serve as first point of contact/filter for inbound grant requests, with support from Program Assistant
● Creating and processing grants documentation and administration for grantees including introductions to PF & next steps, reviewing and finalizing grantee milestones, etc.
● Requesting, reviewing, and responding to grant updates (quarterly newsletters or periodic updates)
and recording in knowledge management systems
● Coordinating and providing critical analysis and evaluation of grantee check-ins
● In collaboration with the team, developing relationships with Peery partners to provide capacity support for grantees
● Sharing grantee-centric philanthropy and PF philosophy and practice
Possible Areas for Growth (dependent on performance and deepening experience over time):
● Participate in refining and developing strategy to guide Portfolios
● Support Local Director in research and execution of Bold Initiatives
● Collaborating with Special Projects Associate to create valuable services for grantees
● Other ideas that build on your unique experience and contributions
For this position you’ll need:
● 3 - 4 years experience working with social sector organization(s)
● Experience conducting due diligence or analytical analysis
● Relationship management experience
● BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
● Authorization to work in the United States
● Willingness to be a part of an open feedback culture
● Practice using good judgement
● Excellent time management while remaining flexible
● Comfort problem solving in ambiguous situations
● High level of trustworthiness and integrity
● A positive attitude
● Ability to have fun and laugh at a good (and sometimes bad) joke
Let us know you’re interested
Applying for a job seems straightforward at first, but it takes time and easily gets complicated. While we already think you’re awesome for even considering joining us (seriously, thank you!), it's actually really challenging to find you in the midst of applications we receive.
So this is where we're going to ask you for a favor: can you make it really easy and obvious how great you are? Please share the below with us:
1. Tell us what you do in the world today and how you got there. Share this information in any format that reflects who you are.
2. Tell us about the relationship you’re most proud of building. What about it works and/or gives you fulfillment?
3. How did you hear about us? A job posting? Chalk on a sidewalk? From a friend?
Some easy ways to tell us:
● Send a link to your LinkedIn
● Make a very short video
● Personal website
● Write us a brief note
● Send us your resume
Some ways not to tell us:
● Feature-length films
● Something that took you way too long
● Someway that doesn’t feel like “you”
You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Portfolio Associate Application by
March 2, 2018. We look forward to hearing from you.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of age, race, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, disability, or veteran status.