International Rivers envisions a world where healthy rivers and the rights of local communities are valued and protected. Since 1985, International Rivers has been at the heart of the global struggle to protect rivers and the rights of communities that depend on them. Armed with on the ground evidence and cutting edge research, International Rivers mobilizes civil society and communities to advocate for improved river basin governance, transparent and accountable energy infrastructure, and human rights. We have been the driving force behind iconic campaigns to protect the world’s great rivers from harmful projects and pioneered global policy solutions.
We are a global organization based in in the United States with newly established regional offices in Asia, South America and Africa. Our small and nimble team are leading effective campaigns in key regions and river basins around the world. In 2017, we launched our new organizational strategic plan, Our Rivers, Our Water Future, to guide our work over the next five years.
About the Position
We are looking for an exceptional person to provide proven accounting skills and take the lead in the organization’s finance functions. This would include providing financial support and guidance to our globally dispersed team.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial and passionate self-starter, with energy for the long haul, who can roll up their sleeves in a dynamic and fast-paced global team. The accountant will work with the leadership team to assist in establishing best practices around budgeting and grant reporting and help lead the organization in optimizing finance and operational systems across a globally dispersed office structure. The Accountant will supervise the external bookkeeping staff and work with the auditors on an annual basis.
This is a tremendous opportunity for a seasoned accountant to leave their mark on a well-respected, high-impact organization as it takes on an ever more ambitious global strategy. The position is based in our main office in Oakland, CA.
Primary Responsibilities: Responsible for all aspects of the accounting function for International Rivers.
● Annual budgeting and monthly reporting back to regional offices. This will include assisting in monitoring progress towards financial objectives and reporting back to the leadership team.
● Monthly review and approval of regional reporting. This will include implementing a standard format for regions to report back to head office.
● Cross training with bookkeeperon all financial software functions (uploading regional finances, bank reconciliations, payroll, accounts payable and grants receivable). The position will also manage the relationship and job responsibilities of the bookkeeper.
● Management reporting, including reporting of financial information to the board of directors.
● Lead the annual audit and prepare all requested reports. This will include liaising with external auditors.
● Assisting with reporting back to grantor organizations based on agreed upon timeline.
● Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
●Oversee the development and maintenance of sound financial practices, including internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures.
Required Experience and Skills
● At least five years of experience in an accounting role with demonstrated increasing level of responsibility.
● Proven ability to work independently and be a self-starter.
● Proven ability to produce an annual organizational budget
● Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to generate respect and trust from colleagues and external constituents
● Excellent written and verbal communication skill
● Ability to prioritize and focus effectively across a wide range of responsibilities
● Comfort and ease working in a fast-paced environment, managing a large volume of requests
● Experience working in an international and multicultural organization.
● Experience working in a variety of financial systems environments.
● A commitment to racial diversity and an ability and interest in working with people from different and diverse backgrounds inside and outside the organization.
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. International Rivers strives to bring a variety of approaches to the work we do. We’re committed to the principles of justice, and diverse perspectives and experiences improve the ways we work. We do our best to make staff positions accessible to all potential team members, and welcome applications regardless of gender, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation or identity.