| Job Description
Children Now is a nonpartisan umbrella research, policy development, and advocacy organization dedicated to promoting children's health, education and well-being in California. Children Now also leads The Children’s Movement of California, a grassroots network of more than 1,900 business, education, parent, civil rights, faith, and community-based organizations, as well as thousands of individuals, working together to make children a top priority in public policy. Learn more at www.childrennow.org.
We are looking to strengthen our brand, print and digital media, information design, and graphics by hiring an experienced Design and Content Manager. This position will support a wide range of high visibility projects, such as producing digital campaigns (including email, website, and social media components) and print collateral (including fact sheets, policy briefs, infographics, etc.), as well as Children Now’s highly-publicized research reports (contributing to editing and leading layout and print/web production). In addition, the Design and Content Manager will handle ongoing website content management and liaise with outside agency partners, as necessary. This full-time, salaried position will report to the Communications and Research Director and be based in Children Now’s Oakland office.
The ideal applicant is highly motivated, flexible and solution-oriented, and an excellent project manager who can organize a collaborative process, invite input, incorporate feedback and complete work according to deadlines and organizational priorities. The candidate should be a dedicated team player, have a positive attitude and be someone who thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative work environment. A strong candidate will provide an exceptional portfolio of produced work representing writing and design talent across digital and print media. This position is ideal for an experienced manager interested in policy and committed to the organization’s mission to improving the well-being and racial equity of children in California.
- Manage all content and design aspects of childrennow.org, including day-to-day updates;
- Assist in the development and execution of compelling campaigns that drive participation in The Children’s Movement of California, including email, website, and social media components;
- Provide ongoing support to Children Now’s policy teams (i.e., internal clients) in producing digital and/or print communications including newsletters, infographics, slide decks, webinars, and handouts;
- Contribute to editing and lead design and production of signature research publications and a range of other engaging briefs, reports and fact sheets covering issues of children’s well-being (e.g., young children’s lack of access to early learning opportunities);
- Organize, archive and keep assets up-to-date; and
- Be highly flexible and willing to take on a wide range of other writing, design, and production projects, as well as assisting in related areas of work including development, information systems, and press outreach.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of digital design/production experience at an agency, corporation, or other nonprofit organization;
- A degree or training in a related field (e.g., digital design, graphic design, advertising, etc.);
- A portfolio of produced work demonstrating strong writing, layout and digital/print design and production skills;
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills, including the ability to balance attention to detail with big-picture thinking;
- Demonstrated excellent project management skills with highly organized processes and detail orientation;
- Skill at working collaboratively and incorporating feedback and written input from others;
- Excellent relationship-building skills with the ability to manage effective working relationships with colleagues, external partners, and other stakeholders;
- High level of integrity and professionalism; self-motivated and able to exercise sound judgment;
- Proven work experience with of Adobe’s Creative Suite for digital/print production, specifically including Acrobat, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop;
- Strong proficiency in HTML and experience designing and managing ongoing website content updates;
- Proficiency in or demonstrated willingness/ability to learn Concrete 5 (a content management system), MailChimp (an email marketing platform) and EveryAction (online advocacy software);
- Strong knowledge of and experience using social media platforms; and
- Working knowledge of MS Office suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Proficiency in HTML5;
- Web video production knowledge; and
- Fluency in Spanish.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Generous benefits.
Applications must include 1) cover letter, 2) resume, 3) portfolio of published work, and 4) three to five references.
Please send and address all correspondence to:
Attn: Design and Content Manager
1404 Franklin Street, Suite 700
Oakland, CA 94612
E-mail applications with attachments in PDF or Microsoft Word format only. Please include your name in the file name for all documents (e.g. g.smith – resume). We do not accept phone inquiries regarding the position; please do not call. Position open until filled.
Children Now is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to staff diversity. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.