| Job Description
Children Now is a nonpartisan umbrella research, policy development, and advocacy organization dedicated to promoting children's health, education and well-being in California. Children Now also leads The Children’s Movement of California, a grassroots network of more than 1,900 business, education, parent, civil rights, faith, and community-based organizations, as well as thousands of individuals, working together to make children a top priority in public policy. Learn more at www.childrennow.org.
We are seeking a highly motivated, detail-oriented individual to serve as our Development Assistant. This position supports the financial, fundraising and grants administrative needs of the organization. The Development Assistant will be responsible for assisting the Development team with grants and individual donor administration and special projects. This position will also include some communications support.
The position is designed for someone who thrives in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment. The ideal candidate will have exceptional written and verbal communication skills and talent in managing multiple tasks efficiently. This non-exempt, full-time position is located in our Oakland office and reports to the Senior Manager, Development and Outreach.
- Process grant agreements, payments, proposals and reports, and maintain paper and electronic foundation and donor files;
- Provide support to grant reporting and proposal processes, including maintaining development calendar, tracking grant deliverables, compiling reports/proposals and ensuring complete documentation for submissions;
- Maintain and update foundation, corporate and individual supporters' donation records using Salesforce;
- Prepare correspondence, both via mail and email, to foundations and donors, and provide careful proofreading of mailings and other communications;
- Manage the production of department mailings, including maintaining and generating accurate lists, performing complex database document merges, and executing mailings;
- Manage information-tracking processes including coordinating with program staff to provide accurate reporting information and ensure timely grant reporting;
- Conduct grant administration including coordinating with finance team to provide detailed information regarding grant commitments and foundation requirements;
- Perform substantial data entry with accuracy;
- Schedule meetings;
- Support special events, including donor cultivation activities, board meetings, and policy events;
- Work closely with the program and operations departments to support the communications and administrative needs of the organization;
- Create and manage systems for tracking individual donors, and conduct preliminary research related to prospective individual donors and leadership council members; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Two years of professional administrative or other relevant experience;
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills, attention to detail a must;
- Superior judgment and discretion;
- Flexible, resourceful, and persistent change agent;
- Creative, imaginative, and innovative problem-solver;
- Ability to learn quickly and a commitment to quality work;
- Comfort with and aptitude for learning new technology systems;
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple time-sensitive tasks simultaneously and in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent writing and researching skills;
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint);
- Able to perform substantial data entry with accuracy; and
- Able to work effectively with others in a vibrant, diverse and multicultural environment.
- Previous experience with Salesforce or other client enterprise system a plus;
- Prior exposure to grants timelines and language; and
- Experience executing large scale mailings.
Compensation: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience
To Apply: Applications must include 1) cover letter, 2) resume, 3) brief writing sample (no more than three pages) 4) three references. Please send and address all correspondence to:
Attn: Development Assistant Search
1404 Franklin Street, Suite 700
Oakland, CA 94612
E-mail applications with attachments in Microsoft Word or PDF format only. We do not accept phone inquiries regarding the position; please do not call. Position open until filled.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience
Children Now is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to staff diversity. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.