| Job Description
ChangeLab Solutions is seeking applications from qualified candidates for a Senior Planner with experience in and passion for promoting safe and active transportation (including walking, biking, and transit). The successful candidate will work with our interdisciplinary team to develop policy solutions that advance health, equity and sustainability in low-income communities and communities of color across the nation.
About ChangeLab Solutions:
ChangeLab Solutions creates innovative laws and policies to ensure everyday health for all, whether that’s providing access to affordable, healthy food and beverages, creating safe opportunities for physical activity, or ensuring the freedom to enjoy smokefree air and clean water. Our solutions address all aspects of a just, vital and thriving community, like food, housing, child care, schools, transportation, public safety, jobs, and the environment.
For more information about how we create healthier communities for all through better laws and policies, see www.changelabsolutions.org.
The Senior Planner will work in collaborative project teams across a range of policy areas, including healthy eating, active living, healthy housing, sustainable communities, as well as new and emerging issues.
This position requires strong leadership, project management, and problem-solving skills, and the ability and desire to move projects from concept to implementation. The ideal candidate has a proven record working with new and innovative programs, and demonstrates skill in motivating, guiding, and engaging people in policy change.
The Senior Planner will conduct and oversee research; produce high-quality written products; develop customized, interactive trainings (both in-person and via webinar); and provide technical assistance to our partners and clients, including community-based organizations, policy makers, and public officials across the nation. The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, creative environment, and will demonstrate a high level of cultural competency working with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
In addition, a successful candidate will embody the organization’s core values:
• Collaboration: We create strong working partnerships internally and externally.
• Authenticity: We support bringing one’s whole self to work.
• Excellence: We are passionate about producing high-quality work to advance our shared mission.
• Innovation: We drive both practical and visionary law and policy solutions to public health problems.
• Equity: We believe in a shared vision of health for all.
Specific Responsibilities -- Senior Planner
The successful Senior Planner will have responsibilities in the following areas. Candidates should identify particular areas of focus, based on interests and skills.
• Manage multiple projects that result in a high level of client satisfaction, excellent quality of work, and balanced budgets
• Create innovative tools and resources that meet the needs of our clients and partners, such as fact sheets, checklists, policy guides, toolkits, and model policies
• Research and analyze national, state, and local policies
• Provide accurate and tailored technical assistance to policymakers and advocates
• Coordinate and deliver engaging, interactive trainings and presentations at workshops, conferences, and webinars
• Supervise work of junior employees as appropriate
• Cultivate relationships with existing and new partners and clients
• Contribute to new business development
• Facilitate and contribute to internal and external dialog that advances our innovative approach to policy change
ChangeLab Solutions has a strong commitment to building a staff that is rich with cultural, social and intellectual diversity. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths and experiences in this area.
Required Skills and Attributes: Candidates must meet all these minimum requirements.
• Graduate degree in city planning, public health, public policy, or a related field. A Bachelor’s degree plus an additional two years of relevant professional experience (above the minimum stated below) may be substituted for a graduate degree
• Expertise in policy, programs, and practices that support active transportation at the local, state and/or federal level
• At least five years of relevant professional experience (e.g. municipal planning, advocacy, community-based work, consulting, or similar)
• Ability to translate complex public policy issues into accessible and understandable concepts for a lay audience
• Strong attention to detail in written and oral communications
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and take personal initiative
• Ability to travel (including out of state travel)
Desired Skills and Attributes: Preferred candidates will have some of these characteristics.
• Experience working with one or more of the following constituencies: public health departments, local government staff, elected officials, advocacy groups, and community-based organizations (especially in communities of color)
• Expertise in one or more of the legal or policy areas in which ChangeLab Solutions works: health equity, social justice, land use, housing, schools, food systems, parks and recreation, environmental policy, climate change, violence prevention, public finance, and economic development.
• Experience managing projects from start to finish
• Experience cultivating client relationships that lead to new business in a consulting or non-profit setting
• Experience giving presentations or trainings on complex topics
• Experience conducting research, analysis, and writing on policy
• Experience providing technical assistance on policy
• Experience supervising staff
• Experience with program evaluation
• Fluency in Spanish
• Education or experience in multiple relevant disciplines (e.g., master’s degrees in public health AND planning, JD AND master’s degree in public policy)
This is a full-time position and includes a generous benefits package including PTO, medical, dental, vision, long term disability insurance, life insurance, tax sheltered annuity and a flexible benefit plan. Salary range is $75,000 - $85,000 per year.
How to apply:
To apply for the Senior Planner position please email all required information to email@example.com; please include Senior Planner in the subject line of the email. The following are required for a complete application packet: cover letter, resume, and a relevant writing sample. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Although the position remains open until filled, candidates are encouraged to submit by March 8, 2017.
No phone calls, please.