Hot Bread Kitchen (HBK) is a not-for-profit social enterprise based in NYC that promotes economic independence for foreign-born and low-income women through professional bakery training programs and start-up business incubation programs. Bakers in Training, our on-the-job paid bakery program, also includes English classes and places graduate bakers in commercial bakeries. HBK Incubates, our culinary incubator and business development program, provides comprehensive food business support to male and female entrepreneurs of all backgrounds by offering commercial kitchen rental, financial advising, and workshops.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
We are seeking an experienced baker to join our team. Candidate must work well with others to create a positive work environment. He or she must be hard working, efficient and patient. This detailed oriented and organized candidate would have a sense of urgency while at the same time possess the ability to continue to learn and pass this knowledge along to the bakers in training.
- Weigh flour and other ingredients to prepare dough
- Mix all dough to specification
- Make sure that each dough is produced as needed based on production demands
- Properly time the mixing of the different dough based on production schedule
- Troubleshoot variables affecting mixing/baking
- Maintaining good operational order in the production and oven room
- Shaping duties, such as dividing large batches of dough quickly and accurately; a mix of hand and semi-automatic machine shaping required.
- Bake all shaped dough to specification and ensures high standard of product quality
- Clear communication with packing and sales teams
- Assist with training of new bakers on all aspects of mixing and/or baking
- Minimum 2 years as a scratch bread baker, mixer and/or shaper.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with people of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Experienced with naturally leavened doughs
- Familiar with different mixing techniques
- Must be able to read production sheets
- Must have comprehensive knowledge in baking
- Must be able to gauge the condition of dough for readiness of bake
- Flexibility in working weekends, nights, early morning hours and holidays
- Must be able to adhere to schedule
- Able to lift 50# and walk 10 feet
- Able to be on their feet for 8 hours
To Apply: Applications must include a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements and should be sent to: HR@HotBreadKitchen.org. Please include “Market Coordinator_Your Name" in the subject line.
Hot Bread Kitchen is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting a diverse workplace.