The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center) is the premier global legal organization dedicated to advancing women's reproductive health, self-determination, and dignity. Its mission is straightforward and ambitious: to advance reproductive health and rights as fundamental human rights that all governments around the world are legally obligated to protect, respect, and fulfill. Headquartered in New York City, the Center has regional offices in Bogota, Geneva, Kathmandu, Nairobi, and Washington, DC and a staff of more than 130 diverse professionals. Its annual operating budget is approximately $23 million, the result of an extraordinary growth trajectory; the Center is now poised for a new phase of significant expansion through its next Strategic Plan.
The Center's game-changing litigation and advocacy work, combined with its unparalleled expertise in constitutional, comparative, and international human rights law, have transformed how reproductive rights are understood by courts, governments, and human rights bodies worldwide. It has played a key role in securing landmark legal victories in the U.S., Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe on issues including access to life-saving obstetrics care, contraception, safe abortion services, and comprehensive sexuality information, as well as the prevention of forced sterilization and child marriage. It has brought groundbreaking cases before national courts, U.N. Committees, and regional human rights bodies, led the development of historic, proactive legislation advancing robust protections for reproductive rights, and has built the legal capacity of women's rights advocates in more than 55 countries.
The Center is led by Nancy Northup, President & CEO, who was recruited to the Center in 2003 for her rich mix of experience as a constitutional litigator, federal prosecutor, and women's rights advocate'as well as her reputation for intelligence, passion, and creativity. She has led the organization's exceptional growth, tripling its operating budget over the course of a decade, sharpening its strategic focus for even greater impact on ensuring reproductive health and freedom as a fundamental human right, and establishing the Center as an international resource for legal strategy and innovation. She was previously the founding director of the Democracy Program at the Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law; a prosecutor and Deputy Chief of Appeals in the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York; and a law clerk to the Honorable Alvin B. Rubin of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. She has taught human rights and constitutional law as an adjunct professor at NYU Law School and Columbia Law School and appears frequently in leading media.
To learn more about the Center for Reproductive Rights, go to www.reproductiverights.org.
The Center seeks an Administrative Assistant who will support the Office of the President. This position will report to the Chief of Staff with a dotted line to the Senior Assistant.
This position will be based in New York City.
The primary job responsibilities of the Administrative Assistant include, but are not limited to:
- Provide administrative support to the Office of the President, including the President & CEO, Chief of Staff, Senior Assistant to the President, and Assistant to the Chief of Staff; day-to-day tasks will include: phone coverage, hard copy and digital document management, expense reporting and monitoring, coordination of OOP guest lists with building security, and maintenance of OOP contacts;
- Provide strategic and technical support in overhauling OOP contact management systems, including entry and cross-reference of large datasets, merging and preparation of Excel-based lists for mass-migration, and gap analysis and research to inform systems updates, add-ons, and other changes;
- Assist with logistical support for OOP travel;
- Sort and forward email correspondence received in the public OOP e-mail account; screen and report security threats as necessary;
- Support organization and maintenance of OOP SharePoint sites;
- Support meeting logistics for internal/external CEO meetings, all-staff meetings, and Board meetings as necessary, including materials prep, RSVP tracking, coordination with remote participants, and setup of video and tele-conference technology;
- Serve as a positive core member of the Office of the President, who works well with other assistants and executives throughout the organization; and
- Other tasks and special projects as assigned.
- Strong commitment to the Center's mission, purpose, and values;
- Bachelor's degree required;
- Prior office and/or administrative experience required;
- A self-starter with strong organizational skills and steadfast attention to detail;
- Discretion and good judgment;
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality with sensitive information;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Ability to maintain a calm, professional demeanor when working within strict deadlines and regularly shifting priorities;
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office suite programs including Excel;
- Technological savvy and eagerness to learn new platforms; and
- Sense of humor.
Compensation: The Center offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits program.
How to Apply: Please click on the link below to apply. A cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references must be included in your application in order to be considered for this position. Please include these application materials as attachments.
Deadline for Applications: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
The Center for Reproductive Rights is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates from all groups and communities to apply.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.