The Mission of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry is to promote the healthy development of children, adolescents, and families through advocacy, education, and research, and to meet the professional needs of child and adolescent psychiatrists throughout their careers.
The Academy is a 501(c)(3) non-profit membership based organization, composed of over 9,200 child and adolescent psychiatrists and other interested physicians. Its members actively research, evaluate, diagnose, and treat psychiatric disorders and pride themselves on giving direction to and responding quickly to new developments in addressing the health care needs of children and their families. AACAP has earned Accreditation with Commendation from the Accreditation Council on Continuing Medical Education (ACCME).
Description and Required Experience
This position is responsible for managing the development, design, and delivery of live educational programing as well as online educational products.
The individual would serve as the product manager for the development of an initial line of online education offerings developed from audio and (to a lesser extent) video captured from the live presentation of education programs as well as other existing educational resources. These responsibilities would include working with AACAP education staff and volunteers to determine which program content to convert into online education products, developing a template for this line of products, scoping the conversion process (timeline and costs), and managing the overall process of configuring the converted content into online education offerings to be presented and delivered through a Web-based learning management system. It would also include preparing marketing materials for each new product.
It is expected that this individual would work with AACAP educational staff and volunteers to help determine relevant education programs to offer at the various live meetings that AACAP hosts annually. This individual would be responsible for working with subject matter experts (SMEs), clarifying learning objectives, reviewing and analyzing evaluations, and in general, ensuring that the education sessions delivered at AACAP events are of high quality and meet learner expectations. This individual would serve as a key contact for AACAP volunteers and presenters involved in the development of learning content. He/she would be responsible for managing communication and the schedule for any programs to which he or she is assigned and ensuring deadlines are met. He/she would also be responsible for overseeing the compilation of slides for the programs that are assigned.
This position requires a self-starter who can manage concurrent projects in the context of a small-staff association. The ideal candidate will have strong familiarity with how captured event content can be packaged into online educational offerings, experience with managing educational programming for live events, proven track of executing innovative educational models for professionals, a strong work ethic and sense of responsibility, and a mind for details, without losing sight of the overarching goals. Experience specifically with continuing medical education (CME) strongly desired.
This full-time position will work at AACAP’s headquarters in Washington, DC. No relocation expenses are available; local candidates are preferred. Some travel and occasional weekend and evening hours may be required.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in managing/supporting the development of educational programming (live and online); specifically CME programs strongly preferred
- Strong technical aptitude, including a high level of comfort and familiarity with Web-based technologies in general, and ideally, with specific online education technologies (e.g., Webinar platforms, learning management systems)
- Command of Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat
- Strong communication, writing, and organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively as a team member and manager of complex projects
- Ability to work in a changing environment, manage multiple projects, and prioritize competing requests
- Experience budgeting for projects
- Ability to facilitate group meetings and work directly with volunteer subject matter experts
- General knowledge of adult learning theory and educational technologies and the desire to keep current with new trends in adult learning theory and online learning
- Work experience in and/or knowledge of the association sector preferred