The Youth & Family Services (YFS) Youth Volunteer Program Assistant is a part to full-time summer position with the VOICE (Volunteer Outreach in Communities Everywhere) Program for high school-age youth and SVP (Summer Volunteer Program) for middle school–age youth. Youth Volunteer Program Assistants will assist the VOICE Coordinator in developing and carrying out volunteer projects with over 50 different non-profit agencies in King County. This position requires previous experience with social justice education and hands-on community service, a flexible schedule, good communication skills with young people and an interest in working with youth. This position is a temporary part to full-time position lasting from mid-June until mid-August; staff must be available to work during this time. Youth Volunteer Program Assistants will be responsible for transporting youth to project sites, working alongside the youth in various capacities and leading debriefing conversations. The work is 75% in the field, the remaining 25% is preparing for projects and light paperwork. Youth Volunteer Program Assistants will help organize an orientation for the youth volunteers as well as a recognition ceremony at the close of the Program. Previous volunteer or youth experience is a plus.
*******Mandatory Training will be held June 12 - June 17.
• All YFS staff is required to maintain strict confidentiality and professional/ethical standards required by State and Federal statutes and by Youth & Family Services policy.
• The ability to develop a superior rapport with youth marked by professionalism, clear boundaries, respect, enthusiasm, cultural awareness, dignity and integrity.
Work is performed primarily out of the office at a variety of different sites, as well as in the office. Must be able to perform essential functions of the job. Hand-eye coordination and fine-manipulation skills are necessary to operate various types of tools and office machinery. Excellent driving record and ability to drive a 12-passenger van. This position also requires good listening and speaking skills and occasional lifting of 50 pounds.
TO APPLY: ******Visit: https://apply.govjobstoday.com/ click on City of Mercer Island to apply online for this position****** The City of Mercer Island is no longer accepting, faxed, walk-in, mailed hard copies or email submissions.
If you do not have computer access many local government agencies have computer kiosk areas so you can apply online. Your local library and Washington State Worksource are also other alternatives for computer access. If you have any additional questions please call 206.275.7794.
Applications reviewed as received. 1st priority given to applications received by April 11, 2017. Open until Filled.