Position: Director of Operations
Organization: After-School All-Stars
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Founded in 1992, After-School All-Stars is a national non-profit organization which provides free, daily afterschool programs to nearly 75,000 children in need on nearly 350 school sites in 19 chapters across the U.S. Our goals for our All-Stars are the same we have for our own children: to be healthy and active, to graduate high school and go on to college, to find a job that they love and to give back to their communities. We achieve this by identifying and fueling our students' individual passions, tying their interests to tailored academic support, enrichment and health and fitness programming. After-School All-Stars gives its students a safe-haven during the "danger zone" hours of 3pm-6pm—the time of day when youth violence, drug use and other delinquent behaviors are most likely to occur. By creating caring youth adult relationships and incorporating service learning into all that we do, we help our All-Stars gain the confidence, skills and role models they need to become leaders in their community.
A Unique Opportunity
The Director of Operations will work as part of a team to ensure the efficient and effective running of the ASAS day to day activities. The Director of Operations will report to the COO to design and implement processes and procedures in the areas of Finance, Accounting, and Business Operations.
Finance and Operations
- Oversee all operations functions across the network
- Oversee operations team, including Sr. Manager of Grants & Compliance, Finance Assistant, and Salesforce Administrator
- Lead operational budget creation, management, forecasting, and analysis
- Oversee annual audit process and ensure compliance with internal controls, fiscal policies, and GAAP rules
- Work with back office accounting firm to manage budgets for the national office and all wholly owned chapters
- Direct monthly financial reporting meetings with network Executive Directors to review Profit & Loss/Cash Flow/Net Assets/etc.
- Prepare and present reports on organizations financial health to National Board of Directors.
- Design and implement accounting systems including policies and procedures
- Offer training and support to chapter network leaders focused on operations and accounting
- Oversee payroll, facilities, IT, and vendor/contract management
- Procure and maintain liability insurance for the entire ASAS network
- Work with ASAS development team to create budgets for grant proposals and LOIs
- Provide fiscal management of all grant funds, including over $4 million per year in restricted funding
- Identify best practices and improve internal standard operation procedures
Who should apply?
The Director of Operations will exemplify ASAS’s core values: proactive, transparent, accountable, collaborative, and entrepreneurial. The ideal candidate will be extremely organized and detailed-oriented with strong analytical and communication skills. Ability to multi-task and adapt to changing position demands are key. Team building and a collaborative working style are important attributes.
- 5-7 years of operational and finance experience with a demonstrated history of meeting objectives
- Experience in non-profiting accounting
- Familiarity with directing and implementing technology systems; experience with Salesforce a plus
- Proven track record in project management
- Experience supervising and developing employees
- An undergraduate degree is required
Operations Manager should have at least 3 years in a similar position with a demonstrated history of meeting deadlines. Previous experience with non-profit accounting is required as is familiarity with basic tech/telecommunications systems required to run a small to medium sized office.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary for this position is commensurate with qualifications and experience of the individual candidate. ASAS offers competitive benefits including, but not limited to health, dental, vision, and an employer match for our 403(b) plan.
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three-year salary history via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should be in PDF format and indicate how your experience is in direct alignment with the mission and vision of After-School All-Stars. Please put “Director of Operations” and your last name in the subject heading.
To learn more about ASAS, please visit our website: