826LA Senior Manager of Volunteer Program
As the supervisor of 826LA’s volunteer team, the Senior Manager of Volunteer Program manages the vision and strategy of the volunteer team to ensure a high standard of volunteer support and interactions between volunteers, staff, and students. The Senior Manager of Volunteer Program is responsible for managing a strong, cohesive team of volunteer staff members that works across sites, its projects, and its initiatives. The Senior Manager of Volunteer Program leads partnership creation at colleges, community organizations, and corporations. The Senior Manager of Volunteer Program reports directly to the Executive Senior Manager.
● Supervises a team of Volunteer Program staff in Echo Park, Mar Vista, and at the Writers’ Rooms and In-Schools locations, and provides support for staff in all parts of their job, especially in creating and fulfilling long- and short-term goals according to the 826LA strategic plan;
● Supports all Volunteer Program staff (Senior Volunteer Coordinator, Volunteer Coordinator, & VISTA Volunteer Coordinator) to ensure appropriate volunteer numbers and participation in all programs, both on- and off-site
● Serves as liaison between the organization, 826 National, and if necessary, outside legal and professional resources to ensure that all volunteer program guidelines and policies follow current laws and regulations, are appropriately upheld by staff, and are followed by volunteers.
● Serves as lead contact who builds and sustains relationships with corporate, collegiate and community partners, and manages partnerships and projects in order to support volunteer attendance at all sites and large-scale events;
● Works in collaboration with Development and Communications Teams to ensure consistent and successful partnership engagement across departments as well as effective volunteer communications and engagement campaigns;
● Leads volunteer outreach, communications, and management efforts for all large-scale volunteer events such as the Great Los Angeles Personal Statement Weekend and Scholarship Day;
● Is responsible for the hiring, training, performance management, wellness, and on- and off-boarding for staff within Volunteer Team;
● Works in collaboration with the Director of Programming and Operations to ensure consistent and successful volunteer management and engagement is happening through collaboration, communication, and resource-sharing across 826LA sites;
● Oversees regular maintenance of volunteer database and tracking systems for all volunteers, and works with Institutional Giving Manager to analyze, report, and train 826LA staff on volunteer data and the Salesforce system;
● Oversees the management and implementation of volunteer appreciation and retention practices for all 826LA volunteers through appreciation events, program-based volunteer engagement systems, and other organization-wide practices;
● Works with Department Heads to ensure cohesion and overall communication of Volunteer Program progress.
● Leads regular Volunteer Team meetings;
● Manages Echo Park and Manual Arts internship programs;
● Reports to the Executive Director
Planning and Execution
● Develops individual work plans with goals and interim milestones to manage one's own work, ensuring high-quality work, ensuring high-quality and timely delivery
● Demonstrates problem-solving skills to overcome challenges and maximize limited resources
● Analyzes progress and adjusts plans as appropriate, prioritizing highest impact work first
● Develops project and/or team-wide work plans with goals and interim milestones to manage resources, time, and people efficiently and effectively
● Understands how various roles, responsibilities, and players, both internal and external, contribute to the mission of the organization
● Makes decisions keeping in mind individual role/team and giving consideration to broader organizational objectives
Direction and Management
● Considers challenges, financial limitations, and other long-term factors when setting a vision; embeds solutions in all levels of planning
● Aligns, integrates, and communicates the link between individual goals, team goals, and broader 826 goals
● Provides appropriate level of day-to-day support to team, differentiating styles based on individuals/assignments
● Supports the work of colleagues, engages meaningfully to provide input or partner when appropriate
● Actively seeks input from team, pushing self to find and incorporate perspectives from team members from different backgrounds
● Communicates authentically and respectfully to resolve conflict, even across lines of difference
● Shares information and decisions with staff and managers in a transparent and timely manner
● Encourages and celebrates differences in team members' communication styles, providing appropriate coaching on balancing authenticity with sensitivity and respect
● Seeks to embody 826's values around diversity, equity, and inclusion
● Approaches new ideas, changes in work, or challenges with a sense of possibility, openness, positivity, and solutions-based aptitude
● Ability to adapt to various working and management styles
● Quickly identifies new paths forward in the face of change, ambiguity, and uncertainty
● Demonstrates ability to effectively manage others in times of uncertainty and change
Self Awareness & Adaptability
● Is open to seek out feedback and opportunities to grow
● Builds a culture of self-reflection and awareness, supporting staff to be comfortable owning their strengths and limitations and identifying ways to improve
● Assesses individual performance and identifies development needs
● Openly communicates and ensures team members understand performance expectations
● Designs opportunities for growth in the scope of team members' roles
● Takes dedicated time to coach a diverse set of staff; Adjusts coaching style to adapt to different skill levels, working styles, and backgrounds
● Understands and articulates nuanced definitions of what success can look like at 826
The ideal candidate must be able to demonstrate they have:
● College diploma;
● A passion for writing, education and especially 826LA’s mission;
● Strong communication skills, both written and interpersonal;
● Excellent organizational skills;
● Strong ability to multitask, adapt, and solve problems creatively in a fast-paced environment;
● A commitment to incorporating and prioritizing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of 826LA programming desired;
● A strong work ethic, a collaborative spirit, the desire to support programs team members, and a sense of humor desired.
● Proven supervisory experience leading , supporting and managing staff.
This is a non-exempt, full-time position. Work days are Monday through Friday, and the flexibility to work occasionally on evenings and weekends is necessary. Benefits include 15 days of vacation for first 2 years, 20 days after that, time off for most school and federal holidays, participation in 826LA’s health care plan at 100% coverage as well as 50% coverage for family members, a full coverage dental plan, 401K plan with employer match, and life insurance plan. The starting salary for this position is $65,000.
HOW TO APPLY
In order to be considered for the Senior Manager of Volunteer Program, you must thoroughly complete this online application, and send the following to jobs@826LA.org:
1. A cover letter that includes a summary of your relevant experience and a specific explanation of why you are interested in working at 826LA
2. A detailed resume
Please include your name and "Senior Manager of Volunteer Program" in the subject line.
You turn to The Non Profit Network to post your jobs for free! We have lost our funding from the Non Profit that funded this site and we ask your help to keep this site going. Please do your part. It takes just a couple of minutes to make sure that The Non Profit Network is there for you and everybody else. Benefits of contributing click here to know.
Thank you so much!
-The Non Profit Network