Responsible for leading Southern’s public policy and advocacy efforts in Arkansas and Mississippi, as well as at the federal level. This includes lobbying on Southern’s behalf, monitoring policy and advocacy activities, representing Southern in public forums related to policy matters, and developing communications that support advocacy efforts.
Public Policy Advocacy - 55%
• Advocates for and against issues related to Southern’s mission that arise through legislation and/or regulation, including direct lobbying at all levels of government.
• Represents Southern in public forums both in person and in writing to support advocacy efforts.
• Builds relationships with political and government leaders representing our markets to facilitate advocacy efforts.
Research and Communications – 40%
• Conducts and coordinates research to monitor policy and regulatory issues and activity at the local, state and federal level; Works with leadership to determine action as needed.
• Supports Southern’s policy-related communications by creating content in coordination with Southern’s research consultants and communications teams for a variety of channels including blogs, research papers, op-eds, and others as assigned.
Administrative/Other - 5%
• Supports fundraising efforts through reporting and other communications activities as needed to explain and communicate on advocacy efforts.
• Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in communication, public policy, political science, economics, or related field
and minimum of five years of experience in community engagement/outreach, program advocacy, or marketing engagement or an equivalent combinations of education and experience will also be considered.
• Ability to work collaboratively with others and demonstrate flexibility and poise in dealing with a diverse range of individuals, community leaders, and organizations.
• Ability to engage in face-to-face dialogue in one-on-one and group settings; Communicate data findings to external audiences, including policymakers, the media, and the general public.
• Excellent communication skills, analytical and writing skills, including ability to write policy and issue briefs.
• Excellent computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office products.
• Proficient skills with knowledge of statistics and research design principles; ability to conduct analyses of complex public policy issues
• Capacity to critically review statistical analyses that have been conducted by others
• Understanding of federal and state policies that impact low-income individuals.
• Working knowledge of federal and state fiscal issues, including state taxes and budgets.
Two years of experience with a law or Master’s degree in related field preferred