Esperanza Academy, a tuition free, independent middle school for girls from Lawrence, Massachusetts, seeks part-time highly organized nurse who will be responsible for triage and keeping health records.
ABOUT ESPERANZA ACADEMY: Esperanza Academy is an independent, tuition-free middle school (grade 5-8) in the Episcopal tradition where 60 underserved girls from Lawrence, Massachusetts are welcomed into an empowering learning community. Founded in 2006, Esperanza offers its students a transformative education that integrates a rigorous academic curriculum using 1:1 technology with co-curricular programs in athletics, the arts, clubs, community service, cultural enrichment, social skills, spirituality, and outdoor education. Our students attend extended days and extended year including July session, in classrooms averaging 15 students, using a co-teaching model in most subjects. This holistic educational approach has accrued a remarkable track record: Our graduates attend 23 different secondary schools—more than two thirds of each graduating class has earned full scholarships to independent and boarding schools— and boast a 100 percent high-school graduation rate. Eighty percent of eligible Esperanza graduates are also enrolled in college. Esperanza Academy is 100 percent privately funded.
OUR STUDENTS: Esperanza Academy serves 60 middle school girls who are 80 percent Latina, 91 percent have learned English as a second language, and 100 percent of incoming students qualify for free or reduced-price lunch. Students gain admission through a lottery. While Esperanza is a school rooted in the Episcopal tradition, nearly all of our students come from other religious traditions. Families support the school through nominal enrollment fees and by adult volunteerism in the school.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Reporting to the Dean of Academics, the PT Nurse will:
•Maintain student health records including current physical and school health screenings;
•Triage ailing students;
• Complete all time sensitive documentation in an organized and efficient manner including Certificate of Registration for Medication Administration and Delegation;
• Promote the optimal health and well-being of students, families, and school personnel through health counseling and participation on the Wellness Committee;
• Case manage the health care of students who have chronic health conditions while they are at school;
• Develop and maintain a system of first aid and emergency care including Epipens and CPR training;
• Assess and recommend school safety measures and promote a healthy school environment;
• Provide consultation, assist in locating resource materials, and assist in the instruction of students in health education;
• Refer students and families to appropriate community resources to respond to students' health needs.
• Bachelor's degree in Nursing
• Experience working in a school setting, preferred.
• Bi-lingual (Spanish/English) is a plus but not required.
HOURS: Two days a week 9am-1pm, 10 hours total per week
COMPENSATION: Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter specifically detailing your qualifications for the position, a resume, and contact information for three professional references to Annmarie Quezada, Esperanza Academy, at ANNMARIE.QUEZADA@ESPERANZAACADEMY.ORG
Non-Discrimination Policy: Consistent with the values of an Episcopal school, Esperanza is committed to a diverse and inclusive community with respect to race, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, family status, economic circumstance, age, and physical disability in its student body, faculty and staff. Esperanza Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, admission policies, and athletic and other school administered programs. We strongly encourage applications from women and minority candidates. Esperanza Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.