Goodwill of Western Missouri & Eastern Kansas has a rich, 120 year+ history. Everyone knows Goodwill for our thrift stores, but few know what Goodwill is really all about. The sale of donated items provides funds that stays local, supporting thousands of job-seekers with barriers to employment. We believe in the Power of Work and are committed to helping people earn and keep jobs in this community. That's why 90¢ of every dollar Goodwill spends goes directly into our mission, not into shareholders' pockets.
Our agency is evolving. We're looking for new leaders and team members who want more than just a job. With a $30 million operating budget and a lot of room to grow, now is the time to join the next generation of Goodwill.
Visit www.mokangoodwill.org to learn more about our agency.
Goodwill of Western Missouri & Eastern Kansas is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veterans status, disability or genetic information, and encourages people of all backgrounds to apply for available positions. Individuals needing accommodations to complete an application may contact Human Resources at 816.842.7425 x239.
The Grant Writer position is responsible for contributing to the diversity of the Agency's funding through identifying opportunities, drafting, and submitting and defending successful grant applications. Another critical aspect of the position is increasing mission awareness of the Agency's services and programs among granting entities in an effort to increase success rates in securing financial support through grants for services, programs and resources.
Job duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Proactively search for government, foundation, and social enterprise related grant opportunities.
- Identify fit between Goodwill agency program needs and the end-client's roadmap.
- Perform literature searches/programmatic research on new ideas to understand and assess novel advancements as they relate to end client's roadmap.
- Work closely with Goodwill Mission Services and Community Engagement staff, and sub-grantee staff in developing and transforming ideas into grant proposals.
- Maintain comprehensive and up to date knowledge of platform technological advances and particular market areas involved in identifying and soliciting grants.
- Manage deadlines and deliverables and keeps all involved parties on schedule.
- Draft high quality written grant applications; translate programmatic abstracts into lay terms.
- Assist with assembling documents as necessary (e.g., large organizational grants, annual/occasional reports, progress reports for grants admin., etc.).
- Perform technical, analytical and professional tasks in regards to collected data, incorporating them as needed into grant proposals.
- Assist in the determination of measurable goals, objectives and procedures necessary to fulfill each grant expectation.
- Assist in substantiating the need for identified programs and services in the community that the funding sources are supporting.
- Measurement and assessment skills: objectivity, critical thinking, problem solving, curiosity, inquisitiveness, research methodology, knowledge management, on-line search skills.
The qualified candidate will meet these minimum qualifications:
- A minimum of 2 years proven successful experience writing grants within the government, not-for-profit, human service and/or social enterprise arenas with ability to produce writing sample upon interview
- Bachelor's degree in English, Education or Communication
- Excellent grammar, spelling, writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Solid comfort level with utilizing computers to complete the job, not limited to;
- Windows environment and internet use
- On-line training and web-based meetings
- Valid, current license and insurance, reliable transportation and a good driving record
- A high degree of sensitivity toward persons with different abilities or disadvantages
- Ability to collaborate effectively across teams and with department heads to achieve a common goal