Position Title: Volunteer Specialist
Location: Kanab, Utah
Reports to: Sanctuary Volunteer Specialist Team Lead
Position Summary: The responsibility of this role is to create volunteer engagement packages for the provision of an excellent, rewarding Sanctuary experience that motivates an ongoing connection with Best Friends as members, donors, outreach volunteers, and advocates. This person is often the first impression of Best Friends in a public relations capacity, representing our core values with professionalism and superior customer service. The person in this position works collaboratively with other Best Friends staff to fulfill volunteer needs and deepen volunteer engagement cross-divisionally.
- Collaborates with the Department Manager and Team Leader in the development of volunteer engagement strategies to support organizational needs.
- Creates a complete volunteer package to ensure an optimum Sanctuary experience that encourages repeat volunteer visits and motivates word-of-mouth accolades for growing public awareness of Best Friends.
- Represents the Best Friends mission/call to action in face-to-face interactions with over 6,000 volunteers annually.
- Serves as the primary contact for responding to volunteer inquiries and guiding volunteers through the registration and engagement process.
- Works with founders and other Best Friends leadership to plan specialized experiences for VIP and celebrity volunteers.
- Promotes continued connectivity to Best Friends by educating volunteers on how to become active in their home communities through Best Friends national events, Network Partners, fundraising, and advocacy.
- Cultivates and deepens volunteer relationships to ensure positive outcomes/experiences and continued engagement.
- Conducts interviews with volunteers to solicit ideas and feedback.
- Develops volunteer stories for media publication and lunch presentations.
- Informs volunteers of Best Friends news, events, and overall message/mission.
- Assists with Sanctuary Volunteer event planning and management.
- Assists with local volunteer engagement program.
- Collaborates with other departments and divisions to ensure that volunteer policies and procedures support Bests Friends Strategic Plan.
- Assists with volunteer social media activities.
- Evaluates departmental processes and procedures and provides recommendations for areas of improvement.
- Tracks and records Sanctuary volunteer data and creates reports utilizing the volunteer management database.
- Cross trains for rotating coverage as Animal Area Volunteer Coordinators.
- Adheres to Best Friends and Sanctuary Volunteer Department policies and procedures.
- Works cooperatively with departmental staff to ensure a positive, team-spirited working environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- A team player who works energetically and enthusiastically with other staff toward a common vision and goals.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills: personable, professional, and positive.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative and work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational skills with a demonstrated proficiency in prioritizing tasks and juggling multiple, competing demands.
- Excellent skills for communicating clearly with professionalism, authenticity, and transparency.
- Ability to make quick decisions using sound judgment.
- Ability to resolve conflicts with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to handle and protect confidential and sensitive information and situations.
- Previous customer service experience preferred.
- Previous work with volunteers preferred.
- Proficiency with Internet navigation and a variety of software applications including Gmail, Word, Excel, and Google docs.
- Ability to work weekends and holidays.
- Genuine passion for Best Friends’ mission with the ability to advocate on behalf of Best Friends’ position on issues and to effectively represent our message of compassion and respect for all living creatures.
- Valid driver’s license with access to transportation.
- Extended periods of time sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Standing for short periods of time.
Best Friends Animal Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical condition.