Juma strives to break the cycle of poverty by paving the way to work, education, and financial capability for youth across America. In 1993, Juma Ventures (www.Juma.org) became the first nonprofit organization to own and operate a commercial franchise—a single Ben & Jerry’s ice cream shop in San Francisco. Since then, Juma has grown into a nationally-recognized youth development organization serving over 1,200 low-income students each year at 20 major sporting venues in nine cities – Atlanta, New Orleans, Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose, Sacramento, Seattle, Dallas, and Houston. Juma has employed more than 5,000 young people who have generated $23 million in enterprise revenue, earned $5 million in wages and saved $3.2 million for higher education. Juma has received numerous awards for its work including the National Youth Employment Coalition’s PEPNet Award, a Community Achievement Award from the Social Enterprise Alliance, and the Social Impact Exchange Business Plan. Most recently, Juma was recognized with the California Association of Nonprofits Achievement in Innovation Award; was one of five nonprofits awarded the “Game Changer” grant by the 50 Fund, the philanthropic arm of the Super Bowl 50 Host Committee.
Juma is looking for great people who share our passion for working with youth and for using business as a tool for sustainable social impact. Our workplace is supportive, open, inclusive and relevant, focused on youth, empowerment, dedication and respect.
The Site Director will lead Juma Ventures’ social enterprise in Houston, Tx and cultivate new and existing funding sources to support the growth of the program. The Site Director will have high-level oversight of Juma’s social enterprise workforce program at Toyota Center and BBVA Compass Stadium, provide exceptional management of the team, and serve as the spokesperson for Juma in Houston to develop partnerships with local non-profit organizations and increase our visibility throughout the community. This position requires exceptional drive and passion for our work, significant capacity for management and fundraising, and the ability to direct the day-to-day operations of a growing, dynamic organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Site Director will position the Juma Houston site for long-term sustainability by:
• Raising the annual Houston contributed revenue budget ($200K in FY17);
• Providing high-level oversight of Juma’s social enterprise operations at Toyota Center and BBVA Compass Stadium, responsible for Houston’s Profit & Loss (projected $500K revenue in FY17);
• Sustaining and growing existing relationships with stakeholders including Board members, individual donors, concessionaire partners and institutional investors, while designing and implementing a Houston development strategy to build a sustainable local funding base;
• Developing a Houston Local Board of Advisors to serve as community ambassadors for Juma;
• Serving as the external face of Juma Houston by building and managing relationships with strategic community partners and the philanthropic community;
The Site Director will ensure high-quality outcomes for the Juma Houston program by:
• Establishing enterprise and program goals in Houston and overseeing a team to meet goals;
• Manage key relationships in the community, through schools and community based organizations (CBO) for enhanced youth employee recruitment;
• Developing community partnerships to support and grow Juma’s work with opportunity youth;
• Developing and maintaining a work environment of excellence in customer service, learning, teamwork, success and upward mobility opportunities;
• Working with the Houston team and the National team to evaluate the Juma program to identify and address challenges and improve outcomes;
The Site Director will lead the Juma Houston team by:
• Providing supervision of Juma Houston’s social enterprise and program team;
• Building a cohesive and productive team culture in Houston and across the country to achieve Juma’s mission;
• Serving as a liaison for Houston as a member of the Juma’s National Leadership Team;
• Providing fiscal oversight for the Juma Houston site, including developing and implementing budgets and managing and reporting assets, revenue, and expenditures;
• Providing organizational oversight for the Juma Houston site, including, Human Resources, finance, office space and systems, and technology;
• Playing a role in the development of national strategic plans and leading the development of enterprise and program strategies consistent with the integrated strategy in Houston.
• Experience raising funds; preference for experience in individual fundraising;
• Leadership experience supervising, managing, and training others;
• Demonstrated knowledge and respect for youth leadership and youth culture;
• Experience developing programs and building relationships with external partners;
• Board development experience preferred but not required;
• Master’s degree preferred. Bachelor’s degree required;
• Self-starter, motivated, and able to take initiative in all situations; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial and inclusive environment;
• Ability to work nights and weekends as necessary;
• All prospective staff will be fingerprinted and submit a criminal background check;
• LGBTQ, bicultural, and/or minority applicants as well as applicants experienced within foster care systems are especially encouraged to apply.
Reports to: Chief of Social Enterprise
Job Location: Houston, Texas
Starting Salary: $60K-70K (based on experience)
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Hours/Week: 40+ hours, weekends and evenings required
Education: Bachelor’s degree required; Masters/MBA preferred
Years of Experience: Minimum five years of leadership and program management experience
Benefits Include: Employee benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 403B plan, and a significant paid time-off package.
Please submit the following to Cassandra Yee, Director of Operations at email@example.com:
1. A thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in the position and how your qualifications align with the above requirements and Juma’s focus and mission
2. Current resume
3. Salary requirements
Due to the volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.