Americans for Immigrant Justice (AI Justice – formerly FIAC), a not-for-profit law firm founded in 1996 to protect and promote the basic human rights of immigrants, has a multicultural and a multilingual staff. AI Justice has represented clients from around the world and is recognized as a powerful advocate and national leader for immigrants' rights. AI Justice works closely with traditional civil rights organizations as well as with grassroots organizations and local, state and national government officials to effect positive change in immigration policies.
AI Justice is seeking a qualified, temporary paralegal for its work with unaccompanied immigrant children. The paralegal will assist unaccompanied children in immigration custody detained in Homestead, Florida. This is a short-term, contract position as funding for this position will only be available as long as the Office of Refugee and Resettlement (ORR) shelter remains open in Homestead, FL. The paralegal will be responsible for following duties:
- Working closely with various government agencies and social services providers.
- Conducting Know Your Rights presentations.
- Conducting individual client interviews and follow-up meetings.
- Facilitating referrals to other legal service providers.
- Participating in regularly scheduled calls and in-person meetings with stakeholders and team members.
- Conducting daily case management, performing clerical duties such as data entry, filing and database maintenance.
- Fluency in written and verbal Spanish and English REQUIRED.
- The ideal candidate for this position will be energetic, friendly and responsible.
- Experience working with adolescents preferred.
- Experience in public interest law, particularly immigration law or child welfare, preferred.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office required. Knowledge of client database systems preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with children from different cultures and backgrounds.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Valid Driver's license and reliable transportation needed.
How to apply
To Apply: Submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please write CHILDREN'S LEGAL PROGRAM CONTRACT PARALEGAL in the subject line. You may also mail your resume to Human Resources, Americans for Immigrant Justice, 3000 Biscayne Blvd., #400, Miami, FL 33137, or send by fax to 305-576-6273. PLEASE DO NOT CALL and DO NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers.
Interviews: Top candidates will be invited to interview and submit references. AI Justice is an EOE/AA employer and encourages women and minorities to apply.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: OPEN UNTIL FILLED