Overview: 9to5 seeks an experienced part-time Communications professional who will be responsible for the integrated communication and promotion of the brand and work of 9to5 in Colorado. Reporting to State Director, they will be responsible for implementing a content strategy for 9to5 in Colorado, and for producing high-quality communications products that amplify 9to5’s position as one of the largest, most respected women’s economic justice organizations in the country. They will coordinate with others to implement programs and communications materials which enhance awareness of various national and state campaigns, and events. They will be responsible for structuring and then managing social media activities. They will develop reports and recommendations to improve and sustain the quality and impact of our communications. The position will be based in our Denver, Colorado office.
About 9to5: 9to5 is one of the largest, most respected national membership organizations of working women in the U.S., dedicated to putting women’s issues on the public agenda. Founded in 1973, we fight for economic justice through the lens of gender, race and class. We achieve our mission through grassroots organizing, leadership development, policy advocacy at a state and national level, and civic engagement. Current campaigns focus on work-family, equal opportunity and pay, anti-discrimination, gentrification, political empowerment and economic security issues.
We have members throughout the country, have 20 staff, and physical offices in Atlanta, Georgia; Denver, Colorado; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Los Angeles, California; and San Jose, California. 9to5 is a highly collaborative work environment of mostly women who are deeply committed to the cause. This is a phenomenal opportunity for a highly skilled, results-driven professional who is seeking to do meaningful work in a family-friendly work environment. For more information, see our website at www.9to5.org.
Primary Responsibilities: Working directly with the State Director, the part-time communications Coordinator will help develop an overall communications strategy to help 9to5 fulfill its mission and grow its visibility. They will lead in the implementation of our communications strategy, providing direction, training and structure for staff, and help to build an organizational awareness and culture around communications.
Specific Communications Responsibilities Include:
- A minimum of 2-3 years of communications experience in the development of marketing and informational materials, public relations / media relations, writing and research, project management and /or information technology
- Preferred background in social justice and grassroots organizing
- A bachelor’s degree preferred in communications, public relations, journalism or other related field
- Demonstrated creativity in the design of marketing, public relations or educational programs and communications materials
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, with a demonstrable ability to communicate complex ideas into succinct and clear ways to a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent organizational and strategic planning skills
- Ability to manage deadlines, work with staff, and achieve outcomes in a multi-office, consensus-driven work culture
- Knowledge of publishing and other related software
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-oppression and ability to work with diverse populations
- Must be able to flex work hours at times, as needed, for crisis communications or events
Details: The position will be filled as soon as practicable and when we find the right candidate, with a target goal of February 28, 2019.
This is a part-time position (20 hours/week), offering a salary package of $20,600 with eligibility for benefits. Position will be based in Denver, Colorado. 9to5 is an affirmative action employer. Women of color, lesbian, bisexual and transgender women, women living with disabilities and older women are encouraged to apply. This position is a bargaining unit position in the 9to5 staff union.
To apply: Send letter of interest, resume, a writing sample, a marketing/ design sample if available, and reference list to: email@example.com. Put “Part-time Communications Coordinator” in the subject line. No calls please.