Western New York Public Broadcasting Association
WNED | WBFO
Buffalo & Southern Ontario
WNED | WBFO is a leading bi-national public broadcasting organization and has been a powerful and trusted community resource for more than 55 years. Located in Buffalo, NY, we operate three television stations and three radio stations, broadcasting programs and engaging our community in ways that explore and address interests relevant to the Western NY and Southern Ontario regions.
WNED | WBFO seeks an experienced professional with a passion for the mission of public broadcasting to lead its development efforts. Reporting to the President and CEO, the Sr. VP of Development will plan and execute an integrated fundraising effort including membership, planned giving, major gifts, volunteer services, on-air fundraising (pledge), foundation development, capital campaign and fundraising events. As a senior member of the management team, the Sr. VP of Development plays an important role in strategic and financial planning and works closely with all departments of the organization, the Board of Trustees, volunteers and community partners.
Position Title: Senior Vice President, Development
Reports To: President & CEO
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Date: September 2017
Successfully budget for, plan and execute a comprehensive set of fundraising initiatives that generate unrestricted revenue for WNED | WBFO. Lead and manage a staff of fundraising professionals which include Development disciplines for planned giving, membership, major gifts, volunteer services, on-air fundraising (pledge), foundation development, capital campaign and fundraising events.
II. Essential Functions of Position:
Create and implement a detailed yearly plan to solicit funds from individuals and foundations, thus generating a minimum of $6 million in unrestricted net revenue per year. Fundraising efforts should include all WNED | WBFO stations and work to expand overall member base in both WNY and Southern Ontario. Working in conjunction with key development staff, fundraising methods should include, but not be limited to, the following areas:
1. Membership – Oversee and strengthen direct mail and online fundraising solicitations for all WNED | WBFO stations, in WNY and Southern Ontario. Incorporate the latest social media, eblast and text-to-give methods into overall program. Manage monthly renewal program. Work with external mail consultants (one in Canada and one in the USA). Edit, rewrite and review all copy, as needed.
2. Pledge – Guide all aspects of on-air fundraising from initial program selection through execution of each campaign. This includes television and radio stations. Create 12-month strategies for comprehensive on-air fundraising messaging (inside and outside of pledge drives).
3. Major Gifts – Work with staff to coordinate program activities for all major donor clubs (Founder’s Society, Leadership Circle, Benefactor’s Society, President’s Council and Chairman’s Club). Strengthen and expand planned giving activities and outreach. Work with major gifts staff on creation of cultivation and stewardship events. Incorporate major gift material from PBS into WNED | WBFO department activities. Present at donor events, as needed.
4. Capital Campaign – Oversee project, identify prospects and actively solicit funds for campaign, in the US and Canada. Supervise campaign staff and work as liaison with campaign chair and CEO. Manage the Capital Campaign Administrator (US) and Capital Campaign Advisor (Canada).
5. Fundraising Events - Create new fundraising events that echo the existing WNED | WBFO program genres and bring audiences from all stations closer to the organization. Liaison with underwriting/ marketing department on creation of event sponsorship packages and benefit fulfillment for their sponsors. Generate net revenue. Partner with outside organizations on various fundraising events (i.e. the JoAnn Falletta International Guitar Concerto Competition)
6. Foundations – Review and edit grants, newsletters and board communications as needed. Create long term travel program that attracts, cultivates and stewards new, returning and current station members.
7. Staff Supervision - Effectively recruit, train, and manage staff in the following departments: membership, fundraising events & volunteer services, on-air fundraising (pledge), major gifts/ planned giving, foundation development and capital campaign. Motivate personnel and supervise the activities that raise funds and cultivate closer relationships with donors and all WNED | WBFO audiences.
III. Overall WNED | WBFO Responsibilities:
1. Prepare and update annual revenue reports. Manage department budgets.
2. Present at executive committee and board meetings.
3. Initiate new revenue generating activities. Create and/or facilitate partnerships with like-minded non-profits, foundations or companies in the WNY and Southern Ontario regions.
4. Work closely with TV production, TV programming, WBFO, Classical 94.5 and wned.org web departments re: new and existing fundraising opportunities. Work with external agencies on various fundraising projects.
5. Participate as a member of the executive management team in strategic planning for the organization, and assist the President and CEO as directed.
6. Work closely with the WNED | WBFO Board of Trustees, its committees, other community leaders, staff and volunteers.
7. Participate in activities outside of the organization (locally, regionally, and nationally) which shape and further the agenda of public broadcasting in general, and WNED | WBFO’s stations and constituencies in particular.
8. Other duties as assigned by the President and CEO.
IV. Non-Essential duties:
1. Miscellaneous duties as assigned
V. Required Qualifications and Experience:
1. Bachelor’s degree required. Relevant professional experience, including fundraising and management, required
2. Experience in budgeting, revenue forecasting and business plans required
3. Ability to communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds
4. Ability to work within deadlines
5. Excellent written, organizational and interpersonal skills
6. Flexibility in work hours
Please submit cover letter & resume to:
WNED | WBFO - HR Dept.
PO Box 1263
Buffalo, NY 14240
or email to firstname.lastname@example.org