Development Director – Position Description
Gowanus Canal Conservancy (GCC) is a community-based non-profit organization that serves as the environmental steward for the Gowanus Canal Watershed. We are growing quickly to meet the environmental planning and advocacy needs in the neighborhood and are seeking a Development Director that can manage and sustain our existing fundraising, while strategically planning for sustainable growth.
The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial, creative, detail oriented, and an excellent communicator, with an interest in urban environmental issues and/or the Gowanus neighborhood and experience with institutional fundraising in NYC. This position will report to the Executive Director. We are a small organization with a dynamic team - the ideal candidate will be excited to collaborate with the ED, Board, and staff to align fundraising with the advocacy and programs of the growing organization.
• Drive and implement strategic planning for sustainably growing the organizational budget
• Work with the Fundraising Committee Chair to manage a fundraising sub-committee of the Board
• Manage relationships with Board Members to renew and solicit new support
• Develop and execute Foundation, Corporate and Government Giving strategies
o Renew and solicit new support
o Manage relationships with grantors
o Write grant proposals
o Coordinate with program staff on programmatic grant writing and management
o Work with Stewardship staff to organize corporate volunteer events
• Develop and execute Individual Giving strategy
o Manage relationships with individual donors
o Manage Membership program
• Oversee planning and execution of the annual Spring Gala (April)
• Track all fundraising deliverables in Salesforce database
• Work with Communications Coordinator to hone organizational and program narrative Skills Needed
• 3-7 years comparable nonprofit experience with demonstrated fundraising success
• Entrepreneurial and strategic thinker, with experience implementing strategy
• Interest in and ability to articulate complex urban environmental issues
• Excellent interpersonal skills and verbal communication skills
• Excellent writing and editing skills • A great team player
• Working knowledge of Excel and Salesforce or other donor databases
• Familiarity and experience with NYC institutional fundraising highly desirable
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package includes 50% coverage of company health care policy, FSA, 401(k), commuter benefits, life insurance, generous paid time off and paid parental leave.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, resume, and three references to andrea (at) gowanuscanalconservancy.org
Gowanus Canal Conservancy is dedicated to facilitating the development of a resilient, vibrant, open space network centered on the Gowanus Canal through activating and empowering community stewardship of the Gowanus Watershed. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage candidates of all racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds to apply.
You turn to The Non Profit Network to post your jobs for free! We have lost our funding from the Non Profit that funded this site and we ask your help to keep this site going. Please do your part. It takes just a couple of minutes to make sure that The Non Profit Network is there for you and everybody else. Benefits of contributing click here to know.
Thank you so much!
-The Non Profit Network