We are seeking a team player and motivated self-starter to work in partnership with and support the Communications Manager for a full-time position in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. As a growing organization, we need someone who can wear many hats, work independently, and is ready to jump into the behind-the-scenes effort that makes the magic happen. An understanding of dismantling racism work and trauma-informed care is key.
The Communications Associate will help manage external communications and marketing by developing and implementing innovative strategies, crafting creative youth-engaging messaging, and growing the organization’s online presence and network. The Communications Feminist-in-Residence will focus on day-to-day communications as well as Girl Be Heard’s long-term, strategic communications goals.
• Update and strengthen media/press list, write press releases, and cultivate relationships with press to cover events and news
• Prepare press kits and create new print and digital marketing collateral
• Assist Communications Manager with administrative needs
• Collaborate with team to leverage social media platforms to open dialogue on current events, connect with our stakeholders, and engage potential funders and celebrity supporters
• Execute Girl Be Heard’s social media policy to ensure Girl Be Heard has a consistent voice and clear posting system across all social media platforms
• Support upcoming website migration and redesign, as well as ongoing web content, including blogging and maintenance
• Produce story-driven, data-driven, and impactful print and digital content
• Monitor online engagement, utilizing analytics to develop reports for staff and board members
• Support and strengthen communications plan to ensure that all Girl Be Heard events and performances are adequately promoted through channels such as social media, email marketing, and the website
• Knowledge of a broad range of social justice issues affecting girls locally and globally, with a commitment to equity, inclusion, and respecting differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socioeconomic circumstance.
• Committed to youth development work.
• Committed to building a world based on compassion, justice, and love.
• Highly collaborative, flexible, responsive, positive, and kind.
• Willing to work outside of normal business hours if necessary.
• BA or BS in a communications, public relations, and/or marketing-related field.
Exceptional verbal and written communications skills and flair for using social networking speak.
• Experience in graphic design.
• Extensive knowledge of social media platforms, Constant Contact, MailChimp, Salesforce, Microsoft Office Suite, website CMS systems (such as WordPress and SquareSpace), BaseCamp, InDesign, Photoshop, and Adobe Creative Suite.
• Photography/videography/YouTube experience a plus.
Deadline: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled.
Compensation: Full‐time, commensurate with experience.
How to apply: Send your resume with a cover letter highlighting relevant experience, your approach to working with young people, and why you would like to work with Girl Be Heard. Submit electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Communications Associate – (your name)” in the subject line.
Girl Be Heard’s office is located in DUMBO, Brooklyn, and is air-conditioned and located in a wheelchair accessible building.
Girl Be Heard seeks a broad spectrum of employees and is strongly committed to a diverse and equitable work environment. Queer individuals, trans people, people of color, and women are highly encouraged to apply. Girl Be Heard is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender identity or expression, color, national origin, ability, ethnicity, ancestry, sexual orientation, age, religion, or belief.
Learn more about Girl Be Heard by visiting girlbeheard.org.