Safe Horizon envisions a society free of family and community violence. We will lead the way by empowering victims of domestic violence, child abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking to move from crisis to confidence.
Safe Horizon's mission is to provide support, prevent violence and promote justice for victims of crime and abuse, their families and communities.
Safe Horizon is the nation's largest victims' assistance organization. Safe Horizon's Criminal and Supreme Court Programs are community partners in New York City's Family Justice Centers, a collaborative project with the Mayor's Office to Combat Domestic Violence, community based organizations, the District Attorney's Office, and other agencies in order to provide comprehensive services to victims of domestic violence and their families. Safe Horizon staff provides information and referrals, assistance navigating the legal system, court orientation and advocacy with the District Attorney's Office as well as Judges, the Police Department and other organizations on behalf of the client.
Essential Job Functions:
The Sr. Case Manager will interview all new clients who access the Family Justice Center and address their immediate needs. . Services provided may include assessment, case planning, case facilitation, referrals and information workshop. The Sr. Case Manager coordinates with Safe Horizon supporting programs and local agencies to provide short and long term care necessary to meet the needs related to victims of violence.
The Sr. Case Manager’s responsibilities may include some or all of the following:
· Assumes responsibility for the most complex cases
· May be responsible for delegation of cases to other case managers
· Provides technical assistance, consultation and opportunites for training new case managers
· May work with the Director or Manager to develop presentations to educate the cimmunity about the program and the dynamics of domestic violence and vistimization.
· May conduct presentations, training and outreach to srvice providers and law enforcement.
· Assess needs of all new clients including cultural, linguistic, service, legal, practical and safety-related needs;
· Communicate clients' needs and expectations with Family Justice Center advocates;
· Assist in determining next steps for clients' visit at the Family Justice Center;
· Provide safety assessment and risk management;
· Provide information, referrals and advocacy on the telephone and in-person;
Knowledge and Skills:
· Able to generate own tasks and develop creative solutions to problems;
· Sensitivity towards and understanding of victimization, especially the experience of survivors of domestic violence;
· Strong communication and organizational skills;
· Excellent interpersonal skills – must have the ability to be assertive;
· Must be well organized;
· Ability to work under pressure in a calm and reassuring manner;
· Must demonstrate the ability to work independently
· Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent training and experience
Qualifications and Skills: