WHO WE ARE
Located in downtown Boston, Bridge Over Troubled Waters is the city’s premier organization dedicated to transforming the lives of runaway, homeless and high risk youth through safe, supportive, and encouraging relationships and effective and innovative services that guide them toward self-sufficiency and fulfilling, meaningful futures. After more than 40 years, it remains a national model and program incubator for youth development services which are effective in helping the most troubled and vulnerable homeless youth to turn their lives around. If you care about making a difference in the lives of young people, we are interested in hearing from you! To learn more about us, visit www.bridgeotw.org.
The Cook will be responsible for the preparation and planning of breakfast, lunch and dinner meals for youth in the Transitional Day, Emergency Residence, and Counseling programs as well as preparing the food order for the agency.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Plans menus of delicious and nutritious meals for three meals a day on a monthly basis based on USDA standards for youth and young adults
- Cooks meals for breakfast and lunch on a daily basis
- Preps and starts meals in anticipation of nightly dinners
- Assists in ensuring quality measures and proper sanitation practices are followed for food preparation, storage and delivery
- Cleans kitchen after preparation and serving, maintaining high standard of cleanliness. Stores or discards excess food in accordance with safe food handling procedures
- Provides inventory of kitchen on weekly basis
- Picks up and purchases food items at food banks and grocery stores using Bridge provided transportation
- Monitors youth behavior to ensure safety
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
BA/BS degree or equivalent. Minimum of two years’ experience cooking for large groups (over 50) and experience working with adolescents. Demonstrated knowledge of cooking practices and techniques and strong knife skills. Familiar with proper nutrition for youth and young adults as provided by the USDA.
Must be at least 21 years of age, pass a background check, and have a valid Massachusetts driver’s license and clean continuous driving record. Should be First Aid and CPR certified and have ServeSafe certification. Able to stand on feet for at least 8 hours a day. Ability to bend, lift, and carry stock up to 50 pounds. Able to provide own non-slip shoes.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
We provide competitive compensation and excellent benefits including:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Employer paid Life, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Vacation, Holiday, Sick, Personal and Birthday Time
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
Please email cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Bridge Over Troubled Waters is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin.