Museum of Science, Boston
Innovation and creativity come from the unique perspectives of a diverse staff. We value your perspective.
The Archives Fellow will assist the Senior Archivist in the development and expansion of the Archives department, and will help perform care and arrangement of the collections, which include manuscript, audiovisual, and bound works from the 18th century forward. As the Archives are a new entity, the fellow will observe strategic planning and discussion of short- and long-term goals, as well as participate in processing projects and digitization of collections. Primarily, the fellow will undertake a processing project under the guidance of the Senior Archivist, but will also assist in working with researchers and interns, moving large amounts of material, and other day-to-day activities. The fellow will expand their professional skills and knowledge by assisting in inventory and processing projects, data ingest and cataloging, preservation assessment, and digitization.
- Lift boxes up to 40lbs.
- Work in storage areas with varying environmental conditions.
- Develop one presentation for Museum staff on any related topic per year.
- Climb multiple sets of stairs and walk distances with fragile material.
- Assist with projects for collection of approximately 1500 ft ranging in age and condition (collection includes bound materials, audiovisual and photo formats, digital assets, oversize works, ephemera).
This position is full-time, 35 hours per week, Monday – Friday starting July 3, 2017.
Director, Logistics Administration
- Bachelors of Science or Arts degree.
- One (1) or more years of course work in archives management, digital preservation, conservation, library sciences, or museum studies experience.
- Knowledge of digital photography and digitization of historic records.
- Demonstrated reading and writing skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to climb stairs, carry boxes, and generally perform physical activities.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite.
Non-Exempt (Hourly). Commensurate with experience.
Benefits for full-time, non-exempt (hourly) staff include: free parking, T accessibility, 15 vacation days, 12 holidays, 5-10 sick days, medical, dental, and vision insurance, short- and long-term disability, life insurance, retirement and savings plan, health care/dependent care flex spending plan, employee discounts, employee referral program, tuition assistance, professional development, direct deposit, free admission, free Duck Tours, discounted movie passes, and much more!
The Museum of Science is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment, and where employees are treated with respect and dignity.
No phone inquiries, please. Qualified applicants will be contacted within two to four weeks of initial application.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.