The Housing Practice of the East Bay Community Law Center (EBCLC) is seeking a full-time Intake/Program Coordinator to assist with client intake and screening and provide administrative support to staff attorneys. The ideal candidate enjoys substantial responsibilities in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment with competing priorities and deadlines. Applicants should be able to work in a team and independently, excel at time management, have strong interpersonal skills, and be fluent in both Spanish and English.
EBCLC is a non-profit legal services organization and a community-based clinical program for Berkeley Law School. We are committed to increasing justice through education and advocacy. With close to 50 staff, 150 law students, and a nearly $5 million annual budget, EBCLC is the largest provider of free legal services in Alameda County and provides multimodal, collaborative, and holistic services to over 5,000 clients yearly.
The Housing Practice is a fast-paced high-volume litigation practice that provides legal representation, advice and information to low-income tenants in Alameda County.
- Screen individuals over the phone and in the office for eligibility for services; assess legal issues, and provide or coordinate appropriate assistance
- Provide administrative support to attorneys and law students with preparation, serving, and filing of legal pleadings (including preparation of exhibits and materials) in state court
- Initiate, coordinate, and organize outreach and trainings with community-based organizations and social service agencies
- Enter data into client database to ensure accurate accounting of information and services disseminated as required for grant or project reporting
- Manage client documents and files
- Provide translation assistance, drafting correspondence in both English and Spanish, and interpret for client meetings and interviews as needed
- Meet with clients and prepare paperwork under the supervision of attorneys
- Advocate on behalf of clients with city and state agencies and community-based organizations
- Two (2) years’ experience in an administrative, social or legal services environment; BA degree or Paralegal Certificate may substitute for experience requirement
- Fluency in Spanish and English
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs. Ability to pick up new computer skills quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with people of diverse ethnic, cultural, religious, educational, and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Ability to work with people in crisis, including people with mental disabilities, in an empathetic and professional manner
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to be detail-oriented, multi-task, set priorities, and work independently, but in close coordination with other staff
- High degree of flexibility; strong sense of humor; ability to work well with incredibly busy team; strong commitment to social justice
This is a full-time non-exempt (hourly) position; non-profit salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package includes 100% employer-funded medical, dental, and vision plans (including dependent coverage), paid time off, and retirement options.
Interested applicants should submit a brief cover letter, resume, and a short writing sample in Spanish to firstname.lastname@example.org (include "Housing Intake /Program Coordinator" in subject line) no later than Friday, March 31, 2017.
EBCLC is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an inclusive, welcoming, and culturally responsive environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients. EBCLC does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, or prior contact with the criminal justice system. We strongly encourage applications from candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities.