International Rivers envisions a world where healthy rivers and the rights of local communities are valued and protected. Since 1985, International Rivers has been at the heart of the global struggle to protect rivers and the rights of communities that depend on them. Armed with on the ground evidence and cutting edge research, International Rivers mobilizes civil society and communities to advocate for improved river basin governance, transparent and accountable energy infrastructure, and human rights. We have been the driving force behind iconic campaigns to protect the world’s great rivers from harmful projects and pioneered global policy solutions. We are a global organization headquartered in Berkeley, California supporting regional offices in Asia, South America and Africa.
We are looking for a new Grants Manager to play a key part in delivering our ambitious fundraising strategy and targets for growth. We’re looking for an expert fundraiser and writer with excellent relationship management skills. The Grants Manager will help us maintain excellent stewardship of our current funder relationships as well as identify and develop mutually beneficial relationships with a variety of prospects. You’ll research new foundation, government and other fundraising opportunities and put in place plans and strategies for each potential donor. You’ll draft and develop compelling, high quality grant applications and donor reports in partnership with our outstanding program and administrative staff. You’ll oversee information flow internally to ensure grant proposals move expeditiously through the proposal development process, focusing on timeliness, quality, consistency, and compliance with the application rules of the potential funder and International Rivers’ organizational policies. The Grants Manager will be vital member of our small and nimble Development team, reporting directly to the Executive Director.
You’ll bring a demonstrated background of strong writing. You’ll bring experience of securing grants from foundations and other funders, as well as experience of working with a diverse team.
You’ll also be innovative and persuasive. We’ll be looking to you to identify new fundraising opportunities so a creative and entrepreneurial outlook is essential.
Finally, collaborative by nature, you’ll work sensitively to develop fundraising opportunities with a broad range of colleagues from our campaigners through to our communications team.
What you can expect from us
We’ll reward you through a combination of exciting and creative work together with a sector competitive salary and benefits package, high levels of engagement and involvement, and a commitment to your development.
Benefits include health care, competitive leave allowance, a sabbatical policy, and opportunities to work flexibly in an engaging and friendly environment.
- Develop and deliver on foundation fundraising targets through maximizing income from existing and new sources
- Proactively identify and research new foundation and fundraising opportunities, develop appropriate and customised cultivation plans and strategies for each donor, and guide applications
- Produce high quality applications, including narratives, supporting log-frames, risk frameworks, and detailed budgets, working in close collaboration with the program and administrative staff
Account and information management
- Develop long-term and sustainable relationships through effective stewardship and account management, including timely donor reports to ensure contract compliance and positioning the organization to secure continuation and/or an increase in funding
- Develop excellent working relationships with the program and administrative teams, coordinate regular update and monitoring meetings to review progress on outcomes, activities, and review expenditures
- Identify possible delays and take solutions-based action to ensure grant compliance and appropriate communication with funders
- Maintain a high quality database for tracking contacts, current contracts, partnerships, and reporting timeframes. Review and update processes on a regular basis.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of current and planned campaign activities
- Keep abreast of professional trends, developments and networking in the sector
- Work with the fundraising and the communications team to develop effective fundraising communications for your portfolio of donors
- Carry out any additional tasks as reasonably requested in line with the general responsibility of the role.
Ways of working and collaborating
- Ensure that all fundraising complies with all International Rivers policies as well as relevant fundraising requirements
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across International Rivers to collectively deliver on our mission, vision, aims, objectives, and plans
- Make a positive contribution to the development team and the wider organization by playing an active role in campaign and organization-wide working groups and meetings
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to creating an inclusive, equal and diverse workplace
- Proven ability to produce high quality funding proposals and a track record of securing high value grants
- Demonstrable experience in identifying, cultivating and maintaining productive relationships with potential and existing donors
- Experience of developing a strong prospect pipeline and of projecting future income
- Experience of managing grants and ensuring compliance
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a creative and entrepreneurial environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent IT skills particularly in using Microsoft office applications and relevant grant management database applications
- Superb organizational and time-management skills, and an uncompromising attention to detail
- Commitment to International Rivers’ mission and values
- Eligible to work in the United States.
Salary and Benefits:
International Rivers offers excellent benefits (vacation, health insurance and more, including flexible schedules). Telecommuting for a portion of the work week is an option.
In order to be considered for this position, send your resume, three writing samples such as proposals and LOIs, and a cover letter explaining why you would like to work at International Rivers as the Grants Manager in a single file to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Grants Manager – YOUR NAME” in the subject line. This position will remain open until filled.
We aim to be a diverse and inclusive place to work. We value new perspectives, original ideas and different ways of working. We believe that diverse views and experiences improve the way we do our work. International Rivers is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religious belief, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other groups as protected by law.