Under the supervision of the Lead Dentist and the Director of Dental Services, the Staff Dentist is charged with providing quality, patient-centered dental care for people with HIV and AIDS in the Central Texas region while supporting the mission of AIDS Services of Austin (ASA). The mission of ASA is to enhance the health and well-being of the community and people affected by HIV and AIDS. Working conditions involve direct contact with patients with HIV/AIDS, including possible exposure to infectious diseases and blood borne pathogens.
Education, Training, and Experience
- Graduate degree in dentistry (DDS or DMD) from an accredited dental school required
- Current license to practice dentistry in the State of Texas required
- Nitrous oxide supervision certificate required
- Current Controlled Substances Registration Certification with the Drug Enforcement Administration and Department of Public Safety permits required
- Current OSHA training required
- Current HIPAA and Texas HB 300 training required
- Current Texas State Board of Dental examiners Jurisprudence Assessment required
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support Certification required
- Documentation of Hepatitis B vaccination series and/or immunity required
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) preferred
- Knowledge of HIV disease preferred
- Oral sedation permit preferred
The Staff Dentist is an integral part of an interdisciplinary team consisting of dentists, dental assistants, medical and AIDS/HIV social service providers. As such the essential tasks of the position include, yet are not limited, to the following:
- Perform clinical activities per professional licensure with emphasis on culturally sensitive chair-side manner, using referral consultation and care as needed.
- Utilize safety and infection control measures and procedures at all times to ensure staff and patient protection from communicable diseases, as well as compliance with OSHA regulations.
- Complete chart entries to reflect thorough/accurate patient treatment plan goals.
- Complete chart entries to reflect thorough documentation of treatment provided.
- Supervise activities of dental assistants, delegating duties allowed by State Board.
- Ensure that patients are receiving comprehensive dental exams at least once per year.
- Work with the Lead Dentist and Director of Dental Services on quality assurance and improvement activities.
- Maintain strict patient confidentiality and compliance with HIPAA regulations.
- Meet deadlines for, time sheets, patient documentation, and required grant documents.
- Attend dental department meetings.
- Participate in leadership opportunities and committees as practicable.
- Comply with agency and oral health care program policies and procedures.
- Participate in staff meetings on a regular basis.
- Participate in ASA's AIDS Walk, on an annual basis.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Lead Dentist and/or the Director of Dental Services.
35 hours/week; M-Th 7:30 am-5pm and F-7:30 am-12 pm; hours/days may vary
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.