Workers Defense Project (WDP) is seeking a full-time Development Director to lead and grow WDP’s fundraising efforts, primarily by building and maintaining relationships with individual, corporate, foundation, and union supporters.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track-record of articulating and advocating for a body of work that advances the interests of working people to diverse audiences. He or she will be committed to getting results in a fast-paced environment and able to handle a heavy workload. This position is an excellent opportunity to engage working people, leaders in philanthropy, corporate leaders, and leaders in the labor movement.
About Workers Defense Project
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has won numerous awards for its cutting-edge achievements within one of the country’s most difficult climates for workers . The New York Times described WDP as “one of the most creative organizations for immigrant workers in the country”.
● Build and maintain strategic relationships with individual donors, foundations, corporations,
and the labor movement in order to win resources that advance WDP’s core mission;
● Develop and execute a strategy to help WDP secure its budget from a diversity of sources;
● Coordinate with WDP’s Executive Director, Senior Leadership, Board of Directors, Leadership
Council members and other allies to manage key funder relationships and develop strategic
grant proposals to potential funders;
● Plan and execute WDP’s annual fundraiser and other fundraising events across Texas and out
● Manage a team of high-performing professionals, including a Grant Writer;
● Collaborate with Director of Communications to develop cohesive messaging across varied
segments of audiences; and
● Other duties as assigned.